AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Implementing an Event

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone!

I would like to implement an event for hitting a play button for a video and for downloading a pdf file.

I couldn't find a specific command in the Help center, though I have find in this forum the next command(here it's a mail):

<a href="mailto:office@spectrum-plant.com" onclick="ga('send', 'event', 'contact', 'clicked');">office@spectrum-plant.com</a>

Besides this I have found  this command : (from koozai.com)
<a href=”/downloads/whitepapers/seo-is-great.pdf” onClick=”_gaq.push([‘_trackEvent’, ‘whitepaper’, ‘download’, pdfName, pdfValue, true]);” target=”_blank”>SEO Is Great Whitepaper</a>

Now I'm very confused which command is the proper one? the first one which uses ="ga('...)  OR the "_gaq.push(['_...)

Even the Google Developer's site doesn't seem to answer that, it doesn't give a full example as appears above so
I don't know which one would work

Please pay attention that those commands are solely for clicking a link what about embedded video from YouTube?

What would the command look like for hitting the play button of it??

Thank you for helping! 

Re: Implementing an Event

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
In addition I would like to ask, how can I differ between 2 events?
Let's say I have 2 buttons of download, but each one is different (one is for PDF file and the other is WORD)
How 2 events be created so the system will distinguish between them and where do I see it in the command?