Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Impact of Blog Views on eCommerce

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to determine how valuable our blog posts are to revenue generation.

I have a site that offers video tutorials. They can either be purchased one video at a time, or a subscription can be purchased so that you can access all videos. We also have a blog on the site. All blog posts exist in the folder "/blog/".

I have set up a segment for all sessions that include a page starting with "/blog/". This will only show me the revenue that comes from the same session when a blog post was viewed. I'd rather see revenue that came from the same session as the blog view as well as revenue from subsequent sessions for the same user.

I know that I could alter this segment to all users that include a page starting with "/blog/", but I believe this would show me revenue that came from sessions before the blog view and after the blog view.

Is there any way for me to see the revenue coming from users only after the session when they viewed the blog? Many thanks for any help that's offered!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Impact of Blog Views on eCommerce

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nick,

either create a session-based segment where Page contains /blog/ AND Revenue > 0
(which will show sessions where a blog page was seen in conjunction with a conversion)
or a user-based segment with the above rules
(which will show if users eventually buy from you AND read your blog, although in no specific order)
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Julien. The user-based segment will give me revenue coming before and after the blog view. But is there any way that I can see only revenue that comes after the blog view?

I'm trying to learn how valuable the blog is pre-sales, as opposed to post.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Actually i should have mentioned that right off the bat: in your segment, use a Landing Page URL contains /blog/ and includes transaction revenue > 0
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Great idea. That sounds like it will work for a session.

Can you think of any way to track it across multiple sessions for a user? i.e. to capture User A, but not User B below?

User A
Session 1 - views blog, exits site
Session 2 - eCom conversion

User B
Session 1 - eCom conversion
Session 2 - views blog

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
afraid not Smiley Sad