Analytics
6.8K members online now
6.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Identify users via user id

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How can a user email or name be identified in Google Analytics if I use the user ID tracking?

I understand that Google privacy policy prevents storing user identifiable information on Google servers, but since I am sending a randomly generated user ID, how do I use it to identify person X?

In addition can a user specific information (such as company name where she works) be sent to Google Analytics? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tadas P
June 2016

Re: Identify users via user id

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If you want to identify your user you would need to assign that randomly generated userID to email address in your backend/database/CRM system. Then you can export any GA report with userID custom dimension and using your internal data you can tie it up with any data associated with any record in your internal database (e.g. email or name) that has userID value assigned. Just make sure that you added user-level custom dimension in GA that collects userIDs.

I think that you'd be fine with sending company name as long as it's not one-person company.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tadas P
June 2016

Re: Identify users via user id

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If you want to identify your user you would need to assign that randomly generated userID to email address in your backend/database/CRM system. Then you can export any GA report with userID custom dimension and using your internal data you can tie it up with any data associated with any record in your internal database (e.g. email or name) that has userID value assigned. Just make sure that you added user-level custom dimension in GA that collects userIDs.

I think that you'd be fine with sending company name as long as it's not one-person company.

Identify users via user id

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

ga('set', 'userId', {{USER_ID}}); // Set the user ID using signed-in user_id.77007426-2