Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

I need one goal for multiple pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need to create one goal that tracks all downloaded ebooks on our site. There are too many books to track individually. Of course, the destination pages are all different. How can I group these pages together to fit in one goal. Do we need to change the urls to follow the same structure and use a "begins with" or "regular expression" goal type? Please help. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Damon Y :-)

How are they currently being tracked?
Via event tracking triggered via an onclick on the download links.. or via virtual pageviews triggered via an onclick on the download links?

Are the ebooks pdf's? 
if they are virtual pageviews that are being tracked, you could use a regex match type for the destination url and pdf$  as the regex, to track all urls triggered that end in pdf format as goals

Similar could be done for triggered events too if the event labels capture the name of the file download eg ebook.pdf

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for responding. As of now, we are not tracking these in Goals at all. They are indeed pdfs that people can view by clicking a link after entering their email info. 

We have more pdfs on our site than just ebook downloads. I guess I'm asking for the best way to group these pdfs together and starting tracking them. I suppose there are multiple options if I can get some help from our web design team. Which is the smartest approach?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I need to create one goal that tracks all downloaded ebooks on our site. There are too many books to track individually. Of course, the destination pages are all different. How can I group these pages together to fit in one goal.

What are the destination pages that you mention? 
Are they the pages that appear with the ebook download link after someone enters their email?

Is it these pages you are trying to track as the goal conversion.. or are you trying to track when someone actually does click the given link and downloads the pdf (or ebook regardless of it's file format)

eta You mention there are too many books to track individually. 
Event Tracking of the downloads via the links can be automated

http://www.blastam.com/blog/how-to-track-downloads-in-google-analytics-v2

or if using a UA Tag via GTM
http://www.lunametrics.com/labs/recipes/file-download-links/

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You can use event tracking and use the category, action, label match. Or unify the thank you page and count that as goal.