AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How to track the first time purchasers only?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Could you help with the next issue?

I need to track only first-time purchasers on my website. For this purpose i plan to create custom dimensions "Number of purchases" and "First purchase date".

How do you think will it help? If yes, please, give me the guide of code implementation.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

Re: How to track the first time purchasers only?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Victor,

Dimension is something will be applied at the session level which means that if first time user who is doing the purchase for the first time and also doing the 2nd purchase as well with in the same user session. In this scenario, both will be considered as first purchases on applying the segment.

Better way of tracking is through event tracking, in case of successful purchase, create an event to fire from confirmation/Thank you page with order ID and purchase value

This will gives you a better picture on the first purchase than the custom dimension.

Sam