Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How to track sales from a banner at homepage?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have 10 banners at Homepage (you can see at www.farmaciaeficacia.com.br). Each banner advertises one product. 

How can I track how much in sales ($ and qty) each homepage banner brought? Both URL tracking and Event tracking seem not to be a solution, because:

Using URL tracking (example: utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=banner_name) for a banner inside my website (at homepage) wouldn't be good, because it would change the last click utm_source. So a user that came from Adwords, if he clicks in the banner, the last click utm_source would change, messing up channels report.

Using event tracking we have to assign a value at the event. If the event is the user clicking on the banner, I can't assign a value on that moment because the click does not mean that the user will complete the purchase. 

So, how can I track how much in sales ($ and qty) each homepage banner brought? Or even better, how to get the product sales and discover how much of it came from clicks on the homepage banner?

ps: If that matters, our e-commerce platform is Magento. 

Thanks, Regards,

André Gabriel.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to track sales from a banner at homepage?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Andre,

No, the easiest way is to use event tracking here. You could also use session-scoped custom dimensions but you would need an event for firing them nevertheless. You don't have to assign any value to the event. You only define values when defining goals. Even in defining goals (you don't need goals here) you don't have to assign a goal value by all means. Just track the event with an onclick attribute - see [1] for example - and assess your event-ecommerce report (assuming that you're using analytics e-commerce tracking).

Christoph

[1] http://www.statstory.com/tracking-banner-clicks-and-impressions-with-google-universal-analytics/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Cristoph,

But will I know what products were sold on each event?

For example, if I make a banner about a product called 'Slendesta' I want to know if the banner sold that specific product.

I tried going at 'Product performance' report and adding 'Event label' as a secondary dimension, but the report came back empty after I added 'Event label' as a secondary dimension.

I have some events already being added by Zopim chat, so I didn't expect the report to be empty after adding Event label as a secondary dimension.

I'll be waiting your reply.

Thanks, Regards,

André Gabriel.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Andre,

Okay, I see what you mean. Event-category/action/label dimensions may be combined with 'transactions'/'revenue' metrics, but doesn't go together with 'product' dimension and/or 'product revenue' metrics.

If you need that, you may implement enhanced e-commerce tracking and use its internal-promotion feature [1].

Christoph

[1] http://www.tatvic.com/blog/enhanced-ecommerce-internal-promotion/