AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How to track page conversion rates

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to get an overview of the conversion rates of individual pages within a segment on my website.

I can't rely on the Goal Conversion Rate metric, as this will add all individual goal conversion rates together. So, I'm looking to use Sessions or Page Views alongside Goal Completions to work this out myself in Excel.

I've used Landing Pages as a dimension, but I'd also like a report that shows me which pages were directly responsible for a conversion. Using the Pages dimension only shows which pages goals were actually completed on, which is normally a 'thank you' page, so this isn't useful. Now I'm trying to use Goal Previous Step -1 and Goal Previous Step -2 dimensions - however, this is showing me 0 sessions, which means I am unable to work out a goal conversion rate.

There must be a simple way to see both how many visits each page had, and how many goals were completed after visiting each page, so I can get an overview of conversion rates.

Setting up funnels either won't work or will be a very long process, because most goals can be completed from hundreds of different journeys through the site.

Any suggestions...?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to track page conversion rates

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jannike,

the metrics you're looking for is Page Value [1] - a kind of relative value between pages which refers to whether the page has been part of successful sessions that led to conversions or not – independently of whether the page served as landing page or not.

Christoph

[1] https://www.semrush.com/blog/how-to-use-analytics-to-determine-the-dollar-value-of-content/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I'm not looking for a calculation of financial value - I'm looking for the actual number of conversions that happened during a session a specific page was part of. How can I find this out?

Thanks,

Jannike

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Jannike,

I see. However, that's only possible by manually set up custom reports with custom segments for each page in consideration separately (sessions - include - page - exactly matches - page XY). If you need that data for a handful of main pages only, that would be the way to go.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

Ok, I'll have to consider doing that, although I wanted to view data for a large number of pages.

It's hard to believe that GA provides no way of seeing the number of times someone visited a page then converted (unless it's the landing page), considering that that's really the ultimate goal of tracking website performance in the first place.

Thanks,

Jannike

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
You're totally right, I'd love to have that possibility as well. Maybe it's related to computing-power issues that Google introduced the page-value metric for this purpose instead.