AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How to track downloads on another subdomain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm trying to see how we can capture download clicks that take place on another subdomain as a goal on main domain (www).

We have a main site at www.mysite.com subdomain and another site at community.mysite.com subdomain.  The downloads are on community.mysite.com/downloads/ and download links are set up as following:

community.mysite.com/downloads/product1.msi

community.mysite.com/downloads/product2.msi

On www.mysite.com, we have a link that takes users to community.mysite.com/downloads page.  So far, we have been using each click to download page - not the actual product download link - as a conversion.  To be more accurate, I'd like to improve the goal by tracking clicks on each product download link.  Is it possible to do this?  

Thank you.

Seong

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to track downloads on another subdomain

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Seong,

You can fire an event on each product link click like:

<a href="/product1" onclick="ga('send', 'event', 'Product', 'download', 'Product1');">Download Product1</a>

And then you can set up an event based goal for each product.

Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: How to track downloads on another subdomain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnold,

Thank you for the response.  That looks close to what we need.  How can I differentiate between those downloading product + referred from www versus those who went directly to the developer community?

So, for example - for following two user journeys:

1. User visits www.mysite.com, clicks on download link and goes to the download page, and downloads the product

2. User visits subdomain directly - community.mysite.com, clicks on download link and goes to the download page, and downloads the product

The way you suggested, it just tracks download regardless of where user came from.

Thanks!

Seong