AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How to start with Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I’m completely new to Google Analytics and I had a plan in mind how I want to start tracking my data from third parties platforms, but before doing so I would like to ask the experts here for feedback.

For the UTM codes:

Campaign source:                            Platform (Facebook, Yahoo, BING)
Campaign medium:                         Type of advert (Video ad, text ad, banner)
Campaign name:                              The actual campaign name
Campaign content:                          Topic of the advertisement
Campaign term:                                                Name of the ad

I would also like the track the type of traffic (search, social, display), age and gender, however I seem to be running out of standard parameters. Can I just create my own ones? utm_age / utm_gender? 

And if I can’t are there any (preferably) free tools that can do this?

Thanks in advance,
Bram

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bram D
November 2015

Re: How to start with Analytics

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Bram,

this is set within channel grouping setup (view level). You have the Default one and you can create your own.

A basic rule would be to tag paid advertising by cpc (search), display or banner or ad (display). More info on how Google will recognise these can be found here - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3297892?hl=en

Do not use & in delimiting for instance yahoo and some other string & is used to delimit query parameters. so for your case:
?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=some-campaign-name

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't think we can create custom utm parameters. like:  utm_age / utm_gender

Information like age, gender, gets tracked out of box.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2799357?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Bram,

that all right what you're planning regarding the five UTM codes. Be sure to use the url builder [1] for the actual URL setup.

However, you can't extend the UTM codes beyond these five ones - they are built-in features. But sure you can insert any additional information into the campaign content or campaign name variable, like "campaignXY_age25".

But how do you want to get these demographic data here? Because you have actually know them in order to put them into the variables.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Bram,

by default you would place these custom parameter values inside utm_content or similar yet for additional values, if you want it reported inside Analytics, you can set the parameters as age=18-25&gender=male (you will probably set these values based on ad platform targeting) and send the info with a Custom Dimension (if you can spare the slots - max 20 per GA property - if slot count is limited you can concatenate the values in one string as one custom dimension). Remember to exclude these custom parameters as these will make a mess of your page based dimensions. - I would advise you use GTM for tracking as it becomes pretty easy to do all of this.

For other tagging best practice:
1. Use all lowercase for all utm parameter values
2. Standardize naming - especially for medium as it will ease creating new channel groupings or editing the default channel grouping

Kind regards,
Zorin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
First all thank you all for your answers!

Too bad you can’t extent them, but if they track age and gender already that should suffice.

Yes, I was planning using the URL builder already! Or at least for the first few until I got the hang of it. On large scale I would prefer do it through an excel file.

@Zorin Escape: I can definitely spare the slots. So if I put and “&” sign
I will leave the age and gender be for the moment as that is already done automatically, but I would also like the track the type of traffic. Let’s say it comes from Yahoo I would like to know whether is native, search or display.

So let’s say I do: utm_source=yahoo&native, utm_source=yahoo&search, utm_source=yahoo&display.
Let’s say I want to see all my data just for search. So not just Yahoo, but also Google (I don’t use UTM tracking here, because I believe the function is obsolete with auto tagging correct?)

Can I select just search here and see all my traffic from Yahoo and Google just for search? Or will in the case of utm_source=yahoo&search search always stay connected with Yahoo?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Bram,

so for whatever traffic you control create a tagging table / plan. In order to track yahoo in your example I would use:
utm_source yahoo
utm_medium cpc or display or native or post or ad or banner or cpm

By search you mean paid search or organic? If organic - Analytics will do that for you and you cannot really tag organic results. If paid - auto tagging for adwords will do that for you and will display source / medium as google / cpc so the wise thing to do is to tag yahoo paid search as yahoo / cpc.

Kind regards,
Zorin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin,

No, I'm talking purely about Paid Search. And I realize Adwords is all covered with autotagging, however I want to be able to select Search (Paid) and then below see the traffic originated from Yahoo, Google, Bing .... And when I select Social for example I would like to see just Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for example.

I believe I know how to do this right now, but the amount of UTM's available are not matching my demand. So I'm interested in what you mentioned early by dividing them with "&". So if I have UTM_source=yahoo&native, UTM_source=yahoo&search and UTM_source=bing&search is it possible just to select the search traffic and see the totals? And then to drill down on Search and see below BING and Yahoo.

Thanks again,
Bram
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bram D
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Bram,

this is set within channel grouping setup (view level). You have the Default one and you can create your own.

A basic rule would be to tag paid advertising by cpc (search), display or banner or ad (display). More info on how Google will recognise these can be found here - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3297892?hl=en

Do not use & in delimiting for instance yahoo and some other string & is used to delimit query parameters. so for your case:
?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=some-campaign-name

Hope it helps!

Kind regards,
Zorin

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin,

Ok, I will look into it.

And it definitely help! I will just start small and see where it takes me.

Probably be back with more questions Smiley Wink

Thanks again!