AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How to setup funnels for Dynamic URL's?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

We have a travel booking website,  which is like Expedia in terms of concept but not big like them. If a user need to book a ticket, then a user need to fill the details like date of journey, place etc and then need to click search option in order to see the results from the database. So, whenever a user fills their journey details and click search option, each time a dynamic result URL will get generated.

So, here we need to know how many are going through the results page by clicking the search option . Since, the funnel is not implemented correctly because of dynamic URL's we are unable to find out the number of sessions going through the results page. I have gone through some guides but found somewhat difficult. 

Can anyone help me on this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Surely you have a URL parameter that captures the search term?

If so, look here: 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012264?hl=en

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Julien,

Thanks for your prompt response. I am not talking about the site search, instead talking about the search results from the data base. My website is a travel booking website, similar to Expedia in terms of concept.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Assuming you're able to send a virtual page view or an event when the Search button is clicked, you could then use a custom segment to show visitors that clicked the Search button at least once.

See segments here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3124493?hl=en

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Julien,

As you mentioned do the custom segments help me to track the dynamic URL's sessions?. I need to know about how to setup funnels for dynamic URL's using regular expressions. By doing this only, I can track how many sessions went through my flights result page, how many went through traveler details and how many sessions went through payment page using funnel visualization. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Just follow the guidelines on segment creation from the link above.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Sure Julien, I will try that.