AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How to setting cross sub-domain tracking

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi guys,

I read some post about the sub-domain tracking that wrote by lunametrics.com or simoahava.com, So I try to setting up for my own website to track the user behavior. Please see my scenario as below.

My website called "abc.com" and has many sub-domain and GA property id to separate the views. An exmple rewards.abc.com, daily.abc.com etc. And we all have register system called "SSO.abc.com", Then every customer will redirect othis URL to registration. So if the customer register at sso.abc.com, We wouldn't know the marketing source as they all setting to "Direct" traffic in Google Analytics. Because Google Analytics default will automatic exclusion our domain from referral site.

Then I try to using their suggestion by setting with "Cookies Domain" to "auto", And I already test the scenario but it wouldn't work for that due to they still setting to direct traffic. And anyone already using this setting and has the same issues with me and could shared the idea for that as well.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Apiwat, 

Cross-Domain tracking between sub-domains and your main domain automatically includes a referral exclusion - meaning that you won't get self-referrals from your own sub-domains. 

Meaning your source and campaign should not be overridden. 

Here is a more detailed explanation from Google: 

Universal Analytics includes your site’s domain in the referral exclusion list by default, so cross-subdomain tracking should work with no additional set up.

However, if your site has user journeys that cross subdomains, and the referral exclusion list does not include your site’s domain, then you can get self-referrals, as well as invalid extra sessions in reports. To fix this, make sure your domain is in the referral exclusion list. 

Source: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6350128?hl=en 

Let me know if this answers your question! 

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the answer @Joshua R,

But what I need to know that, I using the suggestion from lunametrick to track cross-subdomain, But it not work due to they all setting to direct traffic after implmented. So I need to do we need to have an additional setting for Google Tag Manager, Because I always use GTM for all tag.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Yes as long as you set the Cookie Domain to "auto" and the sub-domains are included in your referral exclusions you will be fine. 

Is everything working and makes sense now?

Joshua, Top Contributor

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Joshua R, I already setting up the Cookies-Domain to auto, But once I test the scenario with real-time result, Google Analytics still not reconize the orginal source and replace with direct traffic. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Tough one Apiwat ... 

Are you sure you properly setup the referral exclusion? Did you add ALL the domains and sub-domains? 

Joshua, Top Contributor

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Joshua R,

As I already told you about the setting up base on theirs suggestion, So I very confident that the refferrer exclusion already adding to all GA views, Due to they already default the exclusion list to top level domain as abc.com.