Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How to set Goal - Download Brochure

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I try to set for Goal - Download Brochures but got 0 figures in the past 3 weeks. I set Goal for stay in the particular page. I got figure. I think Goal - Download Brochures may be wrong. Kindly please advice my settings.

SETTING 1

Goal Description
Name: Download YYY
Type: Event: ex. played a video

Goal Details
Category: equal to Download Brochure
Action: Equal to Kineto_eng_07 page change.ai
Label: /Kineto_eng.pdf
Value: Equal to 1
Use the Event value as teh Goal Value for the conversation: Yes
Verify this Goal: See how oftern this Goal would have vonverted based on your data from the past 7 days

SETTING 2

Goal Description
Name: Download YYY
Destinatin: ex. thanks.html

Goal Details
Destination: Equal To /HOHBooklet_USA.pdf
Value: Equal to 1
Funnel: OFF
Verify this Goal: See how oftern this Goal would have vonverted based on your data from the past 7 days

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
For the first goal.. what is code you are using to track the download when someone clicks the download link?
Are you able to link to the page with the download link so as one of us can take a look at the code being used?

For goal 2, im assuming you are tracking the pdf download link as a virtual pageview .. is that correct?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry I don't understand what you mean.

I copy the settings from my Goal setting page.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
Yes thank you, I appreciate you including the goal configuration info :-)

Just to clarify.. what are you trying to track?
When ppl click a link to download a pdf file?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I find there are X thousand of visitors read the webpages with brochure download. I would like to know how many visitors really download the brochure(s). Brochure(s) are in PDF formats. 

Re: How to set Goal - Download Brochure

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Thanks for posting back :-)

To see how often the PDFs are being downloaded, then you need to add some javascript or jquery to the pages to create events or virtual pageviews. These are then tracked and shown in GA when someone clicks on one of the web page links to download one of the PDFs. They can then also be used to configure goals

Do you have the extra code inserted into the pages to track the file downloads as events?
If so, are you seeing the data being reported in the GA Behaviour > Events report?

If you dont already have event tracking code setup then you would use some code similar to the following. 
<a href="path/to/my.pdf" onclick="ga('send', 'event', 'brochures', 'download', 'brochurea.pdf', 1); target="_blank">Download BrochureA</a>

You would need to change it for each link so (Eg the label) so as to indicate which pdf file is being downloaded

Your Goal would then be setup to reflect the name of the Category, Action, Label etc that is being used for the events
( More info on setting up goals here - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032415?hl=en&ref_topic=6150889 )

If you do not want to track goal funnels, then events should be fine for the purpose of goals
If you are needing to setup funnels, events cannot be used as funnel steps, you need to create
track the download as a virtual pageview instead, these can be used as steps in a funnel or as the goal destination url.

There is further reading about events and setting up event tracking on the following pages.
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033068#Anatomy
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events

Pls post back if you need further help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much! 😄

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Happy to help :-)

Re: How to set Goal - Download Brochure

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The best way to do it correctly and easily is to download  the complete  google tag manager recipes from luna metrics website and import it into GTM. Link - http://www.lunametrics.com/labs/recipes/ 

Then go the file download event on GTM then to the trigger and copy the click file extension - pdf|docx?|xlsx?|txt . Then head over to google analytics and create an event goal. and paste the " pdf|docx?|xlsx?|txt" into the "Action field - regular expression - pdf|docx?|xlsx?|txt" then save it and you are done. Please see the attached images for reference.problem 3.JPGproblem 3.1.JPGproblem 3.2.JPGproblem 3.3.JPG

Let me know if you have any questions.