AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How to report floating numbers product quantity?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're providing an E-Grocerry platform as such people can order weighable items by the pounds or grams.

Which means most of the time the quantity is not an integer as the Analytics Ecommerece spec requires.

We found out when we send floating numbers the lines are dropped from the analytics especially if the weight was for example 0.4lb, which is probably rounded to 0 by the Analytics, is there a way to work around this limitation?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Analytics by definition works with aggregated data which can be problematic for people looking for exact data. Here are some possible solutions: 

#1 - Use custom reports. Custom reports are suppose to use all data and not a percentage of total data (aka data sampling) that is used in most Analytics reports. 

#2 - Try multiplying your weight by 10x to prevent rounding down. This could be inconvenient but could prevent the rounding down. 

#3 - Try changing your product description of the weight from an 'integer' to a 'text' field with a number. Something like 'product variant'. 

Let me know if any of these solves your problem! 

- Josh

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Guy K take a look at some additional options:

1) send additional metrics which can be defined and sent in addition to a default product qty - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828?hl=en#Overview

2) Add additional information / Calc based on custom metrics via Calculated metrics (for example avg product price based on custom metrics qty) - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6121409?hl=en

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

#2 seems like the best solution, moving from lb to 1/100lb but as you mentioned that will look weird on the order items counter.

#3 how can I change "from an 'integer' to a 'text'"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I thought on this solution but, the problem is that it seems like in case when the analytics round the number to 0, it drops the line.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Guy K you need to be careful on how to send it in terms of 0,1 vs 0.1 (0.1 is the correct delimiter).

Kind regards,

Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

that is how we send it.