Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How to prevent Visits to our site via a web LINK overwriting previous SOURCE/MEDIUM?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to track the Source of some subscription sales by looking a the utm_source on the Confirmation page of our website.

So user path is:

OurSite.com/Buy.htm  >  ThirdParty.com  >OurSite.com/Confirm.htm

However, in my testing, OurSite.Com/Confirm.htm shows a source as ThirdParty.com

(ThirdParty.com is our shopping cart, so it then looks like all Sales are coming from our shopping cart (our shopping cart does not support gAnalytics)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MrAnalogy
October 2016

How to prevent Visits to our site via a web LINK overwriting previous SOURCE/MEDIUM?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

If you are using Universal Analytics code you can add ThirdParty.com to the Referral Exclusion List. To do this go to ADMIN tab and under PROPERTY click Tracking Info > Referral Exclusion List.

If you are using Classic version of code then you can configure exclusion directly in tracking code:

_gaq.push(['_addIgnoredRef', 'ThirdParty.com']);

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hmm... The referral source of the conversion would certainly be ThirdParty.com if that's what's between in interaction and the conversion. 

Re: How to prevent Visits to our site via a web LINK overwriting previous SOURCE/MEDIUM?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Yep, and I want to see what the original Source was.

Any way to do that?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author MrAnalogy
October 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

If you are using Universal Analytics code you can add ThirdParty.com to the Referral Exclusion List. To do this go to ADMIN tab and under PROPERTY click Tracking Info > Referral Exclusion List.

If you are using Classic version of code then you can configure exclusion directly in tracking code:

_gaq.push(['_addIgnoredRef', 'ThirdParty.com']);