Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How to identify the homepage with wordpress / first mandatory step of a goal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there!

I'm going to try to be as clear as i can Smiley Happy

I have to set up goals for each two language versions of our company website, focusing on every visitor who has completed a signup until reaching his dashboard.

The website where the visitor can signup is developed under wordpress (only the first step of the goal below).

There are two domains : www.company.fr and www.company.us

I show you how i built the FR goal. The US goal is exactly the same, only changing the domain (.fr > .us)

Goal_GA.png

My problem is that both goals have the same results so it looks GA is tracking the same thing in both goals.

Goal_GA2.png

Do you where i could have made a mistake?

Thanks for your help !!! Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Julien J
March 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Julien,

First, you don't need the protocol or the hostname in the goal steps, just the URi.  So you can drop http://.....com  in the case of the home page it would most likely just be a / unless you have used a default url in the view settings.

It sounds like you are using the same tracker and view for this?  IF that's the case you'll need to create a view for each of the domains using an include filter and hostname as the pattern with something like company\.fr  as the value for the pattern.   Alternatively you can prepend the request uri with the hostname with a filter.  Then you could create different goals based upon .fr or .us.   

Lastly, the required first step does NOT impact goal conversions -- just the outdated funnel visualization report.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Julien J
March 2017

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Julien,

First, you don't need the protocol or the hostname in the goal steps, just the URi.  So you can drop http://.....com  in the case of the home page it would most likely just be a / unless you have used a default url in the view settings.

It sounds like you are using the same tracker and view for this?  IF that's the case you'll need to create a view for each of the domains using an include filter and hostname as the pattern with something like company\.fr  as the value for the pattern.   Alternatively you can prepend the request uri with the hostname with a filter.  Then you could create different goals based upon .fr or .us.   

Lastly, the required first step does NOT impact goal conversions -- just the outdated funnel visualization report.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn