AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How to create traceable links

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

My query digs a little deeper than just creating traceable links; I want to be able to create such links, but be traceable by other people of my choice, allowing us both to track traffic.

I've actually tried creating the shortened links with the URL builder/shortener, but I don't think my Google Analytics account is recognising it, so if someone could explain the process of how GA is linked to the URL builder (how GA recognises it's a URL linked to your account) that'd be great.

I'm not sure if this is possible and I'm new to Google Analytics so any help is appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

How to create traceable links

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

You need to create a url with custom campaign parameters and then use a shortener (such as bitly or google url shortener) 

GA does not link/integrate with Google URL Shortener or the URL builder tool.

Traffic from campaigns is seen within your GA Acquisition > Campaigns report

This data is only viewable by you or other users that you have added to your GA account

with the necessary permissions.

Information about custom campaigns can be found here

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033863?hl=en&ref_topic=1032998

Google URL Shortener has its own click data/tracking which is publicly viewable

(keep mind clicks are not the same thing as a pageview)

More info on Google URL Shortener here:
https://support.google.com/faqs/answer/190768?visit_id=1-636358102233526056-3680057896&rd=1

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here