Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How to create a cookie that will capture the source, medium, campaign...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Could anyone explain or share a very detailed article on how to create your own cookie to be able to get the source, medium, campaign, content and term?

We cannot get this information anymore from the universal analytics cookie and I have read that it is possible to get these information by creating your own cookie. Anyone know about his and how to do it?

Thanks for your help.

Delphine

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Delphine D :-)

I've used this in the past but not for a while. It does seem to be fairly up to date though.

https://github.com/dm-guy/utm-alternative

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Bronwyn V,

This is a great! Thank you.

I have added the traffic_source 2.0.js and the form.html via google tag manager.

Do you know if there is anything else I need to do? Also, is there a way to check that the cookie is being created and contain the info?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I'm sorry, i wouldnt know what to do with it in relation to GTM.
It's also been well over a year since i last used it. I honestly cannot remember and dont have the resources available at this point in time to go hunting back thru the related notes that i made at that time.
I just remember at the time it worked well for what I needed which was to pull the source/medium data so it could be included with a form and fed thru to Salesforce.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: How to create a cookie that will capture the source, medium, campaign...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆