Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How to Track URL Builder Link

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have used the URL Builder form to create custom URLs to my sites to track my clicks in an email signature (I provided the link below I used to do so). However, I have no idea how to see those results so I can see how many click I am getting. Clarification on how to track these URLs clicks or best way to do so would be great.

Thanks!

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to Track URL Builder Link

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

You can see the results in Acquisition -> Campaigns -> All Campaigns. The campaign name you used should appear there. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok so thats in Google Analytics. Which gives me a problem then. When I tried to submit the link from URL Builder into Google Aana. It would not take it. Saying: Property url is invalid, although it does work. I need to use a Built URL as it is specific to our email signature and would confuse the data of someone just going to our sites the normal way.

Do you have a suggestion on how to do this?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You don't need to submit the link from the URL builder anywhere in Google Analytics. You just need to use the tagged URLs in your email campaigns and you'll be able to see the results in the Acquisition reports.
Let me know if you have questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, I guess I am not setting up correctly. The Google Form I read said to Make/Track Campaigns to use the URL Builder. Can I get info on how to tag urls in an email signature campaign. I probably just need info from start of this campaign and I can just walk myself through the steps.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Build your URL like the example below and use it in the signature in the emails.

http://www.yoursite.com/?utm_source=regular_mail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=signature_campaign

You'll be able to see the results in the Acquisition reports as I mentioned before.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok great I have the link up and working and in my signature. So final question being how to I get this link to be in my Analytics? I tried adding a new property, with the link I created that you gave me. In the Website URL section.When I pressed get Tracking ID I got the error saying: URL must not contain a query when I tried to add it.

Am I submitting this to track into the wrong area?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
You don't need to do anything else. Once the user arrives to your site through the link in your signature the GA tracking script will collect the UTM parameters from the tagged URL and it will pass them to Google Analytics together with the pageview hit. The details will appear in the acquisition reports, you will find your campaign in Acquisition -> Campaigns -> All Campaigns. Let me know if you have more questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah that's the problem I am having is it is not auto showing nor would I see why it would. Are you referring to doing this if setting up an company wide email signature in Google Admin? If so thats not the case. At the time being we are just testing it out to see and in doing this I am doing it solely on my email signature (I am a Admin).

When I got to all campaigns there is no wordage on the link I have edited based off your template and added to my signature. I believe it is trying to show info on the original property we set up since it shows it on the top right included with all web data on there which is showing no data.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
There is some delay before the details appear in Google Analytics. Also make sure that the UTM parameters are not stripped from the URL by your webserver settings.