AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How to Track Conversions of Sub domains using filter option

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

I will tell my clear scenario. Few days, before we had launched a separate sub domain for Egypt lets consider eg.abc.com and when someone from Egypt tries to open my main domain we are redirecting them to eg.abc.com. We have created a new view for sub domain to track the visitors and conversions of that sub domain using filter option.

Just now, I analysed my main domain view analytics that all my sub domain conversions are tracking on main domain view. This is due to we are redirecting the visitors to eg.abc.com from abc.com. But I need my sub domain conversions to be tracked on sub domain view and also this sub domain conversions should count on my domain view. What should I do on this case? Help me on this.

Re: How to Track Conversions of Sub domains using filter option

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Prabhu,

It's happening because conversions are happening on the main domain (abc.com), not on the subdomain eg.abc.com. It isn't easy to achieve the results the way you want, but it is achievable if you can move your subdomain conversion pages to eg.abc.com.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Syed,

Everything is separate in terms of my sub domain. So, this is applicable to conversion pages also. For example. if a user navigates to my product page it will be separate for both sub domain and main domain. Even the real time goal hits is showing 0 on my sub domain view. I set up goal as you said yesterday for my sub domain. But even though it is not working

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Prabhu,

In order to troubleshoot this, I would suggest you create some new views keeping your old ones intact.

1. Main domain TEST - Add filters using > Predefined > Traffic to the hostname > that are equal to > abc.com
2. EG subdomain TEST - Add filters using > Predefined > Traffic to the hostname > that are equal to > eg.abc.com

And then add the advanced filter in both views as given in the below link. Let me know after you see the data in the all pages report.
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1012243?hl=en

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Syed,

Your suggestion looks bit complicated for me. As I said, my sub domain conversions are getting tracked in main domain view. Now, I need to know my sub domain conversions on my sub domain view as well as this sub domain conversions should be there on main view.

For example, tomorrow if we launch 10 sub domains, we need to know its conversions separately using sub domain view and also this sub domains conversions be tracked on main domain view also.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
It looks like your requirement is slightly different. In this case, you need to use multiple GA tracker on the pages.

1. 1 property for main domain and all subdomains. You can use the current / existing property and the GA code from this to all main domain and subdomain pages.
2. Create separate / Individual property for each subdomain. Use the GA code from them to the relevant subdomain pages. For example, the GA code from eg.abc.com property should be placed only on the eg.abc.com submdomain pages and the GA code from en.abc.com property should be placed only on the en.abc.com submdomain pages and so on.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Syed,

I think cross domain tracking works fine for me.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Prabhu,

Yes, you need to use cross-domain tracking for 1. the property for main and sub-domain.

If you would like to separate the data / conversions by main domain and subdomains, then it can't be achieved by simply using the filters in the view. Because if you use a filter for the main domain only, then this will exclude the data for the subdomains. But if you don't mind having a view which includes everything (domain + subdomain), then yes, one single tracker with cross-domain tracking will work fine. So, the view with everything will contain the data /conversions on the main domain and the subdomains. And the individual subdomains views will contain the data / conversions for the relevant subdomains.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Syed,

As you said, I need exactly the same like below

1) View with (Main domain + Sub domain) traffic reports & conversion reports.
2) Individual sub domain view which contains its particular traffic report & conversion report.

Now I want to know, do I need to create a filter for cross domain tracking in order to get the data as I mentioned above after pasting the code or GA code level customization is enough.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You create the following new views -

1) Unfiltered - no filter attached. You may already have this one. It is a good practice to have a view which includes all the data.
2) Main domain and Subdomains - Add exclude filters such as internal IP address + Advanced filters with hostname / domain
3) Individual views for each subdomains - Add exclude filters such as internal IPs + individual include subdomain filter (i.e. Predefined > Traffic to the hostname > that are equal to > eg.abc.com for egypt subdomain view)

When you create goals based on the destination URLs, you need to use the full URLs in the main domain and subdomain view .i.e. abc.com/thankyou.html.
But When you create goals based on the destination URLs in the subdomain views, use only the URI part of the URLs. i.e., /thankyou.html.

Hope this helps.