Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How many hits can Google Analytics (free version) have per month?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can't seem to find a clear answer, and I am finding conflicts on sources from Google about how many hits Google Analytics can have.

Here clearly states 10 million hits per property.

Here clearly states 10 million hits per property.

Here clearly states 10 million hits per account.

It is very important that I get a clear, official answer on this.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How many hits can Google Analytics (free version) have per month?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Robert,

I've always went with 10MM per property. That said, the TOS is the legal document that you accept so I would defer to the TOS at 10MM per account.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi,

the official answer is 10 million hits per month per property, to be shared across all property views.
Anything over that 10 million mark *can* be blocked by Google until the end of the period but I have yet to see them enforce that limitation.
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So 10 million per property would theoretically mean 100 Accounts * 50 Properties * 10,000,000 hits = 50,000,000,000 hits. (The views would be 10 million / views?)

Am I making any sense, or am I not understanding something?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Remember it's not just views but also events, user timings, transactions, etc.

Can we maybe start from your requirements and help you determine the best account/property structure?
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Robert,

I agree with @Julien on what we've always went with as the number and, frankly, never noticed that the terms of service say per account. Again if it's that important to you, then I would use the Terms of Service doc and per account. I also have never seen Google actually step in and stop it but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't at some point. Smiley Sad If your volume is that high then there are ways to use free GA with multiple properties or accounts and a roll up but you should consider 360 or another solution.

Also I don't understand your mention of views here. I follow you down the path of accounts and properties. The view is just per-aggregated subset of the property and yes the 10MM hits are really independent of the views and the hits roll up to the property.

Best,

Theo
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Say I make an 'Account' for baseball and basketball. Bob is assigned full rights to the Property named 'pitchers' under the baseball Account and can implement 50 Properties (or different websites in the same space as 'pitchers') and delegate Views to other users as he sees fit.

Joe has a similar scenario within the basketball Account but his Property is named 'point guard'

Does Bob have 10 million hit limit under 'pitchers,' or do Bob and Joe share 10 million hits between 'pitcher' and 'point guard' Properties?

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Robert,

The Account for Baseball would have 50 Properties available; one of which can be Pitchers. If he uses hostname view filters and collects data on JakeArrietta.com under 1 view and JonLester.com under another, these two views and all other views under the property would share the 10 MM limit.

Another way to look at is is by Account ID structure.

Account UA-123456 Can have properties UA-123456-1, UA-123456-2 ... UA-123456-50.

Under the Terms of Service it says "account" so all properties under UA-123456 can have up to 10MM hits per month. The way @Julien and I have always known is by property so that would mean that UA-123456-1 , etc could each have 10MM hits; the views do not matter in the calculation and they are not a way around the hit limit.

Again, if it's that important, I would defer not to what I have always known, but to the GA TOS doc that clearly does say account.

Hope that helps,

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn