Analytics
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How long does event traffic take to display

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I know i can see event traffic in Real Time but how long do the events take to display in Behavior? I've read anywhere from 8 to 24 hours. My problem is, I recently loaded GTM on my site and am relying solely on GTM to track clicks throughout the site. I can see these events in Real Time but after a few hours I don't see them displaying in Behavior.

thanks

D

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How long does event traffic take to display

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Dennis,

as all data it can take as you said up to 48 hours for reports to be populated - though this is a very very rare case!

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you for the response. As a QA process we're clicking every link on the site to be sure they're being tracked properly. There are close to 500 links. Do you think the amount of links being clicked has anything to do with the lag time?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Dennis,

no, that amount should not be an issue at all. Note that there is a hit limit for a session caped at 500 though (everything after 500 will not show in GA)!

If this is a new testing property there may be a delay in reports yet again usually not that long.

Are there any filters applied to the view you are checking the data?

Kind regards,
Zorin

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Well the events are created in GTM and I'm not applying any filters within events. As I said, they show in Real Time but they're taking quite a bit of time to show within Behavior.

Can you explain the 500 limit for me? Does that mean if a person clicks more than 500 links in one session only the first 500 will show?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Dennis,

regarding the hit limit - basically if a session consists of 500+ hits all hits > 500 will not be shown in reports - please check https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/limits-quotas#universal_pro...

Kind regards,
Zorin

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you so much for your help. This is great.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I usually see some events within 4 hours and when running automated reports get stable results which are 24 hours old.