Analytics
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How long does a customer have to convert for it to attributed to a referee?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I know with Adwords, I have set a 30 day window for customers to convert, so if someone clicks on my ad on the 15th of November, and purchases on 1st December, the conversion will show on Novembers conversions.

I want to know, if someone is referred to my website from another, and doesn't make a purchase straight away, but chooses to purchase in two weeks time, will this be attributed to the original referee and, if so, how long does a customer have until it's just categorised as 'Direct'?

Thanks for your help,

Best Regards,

Mike.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michael R
November 2016

Re: How long does a customer have to convert for it to attributed to a referee?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

The AdWords conversion tracking code uses a Third-Party cookie but Google Analytics use First-party cookie.

Examples:

1) referralwebsite.com (has a link to your website) -> yourwebsite.com = conversion will be attributed to referralwebsite.com in your Google Analytics regular reports.

2) 1) referralwebsite.com (has a link to your website) -> yourwebsite.com -> AdWords -> yourwebsite.com = conversion will be attributed to AdWords in your Google Analytics regular reports.

3) AdWords -> yourwebsite.com -> referralwebsite.com (has a link to your website) -> yourwebsite.com = conversion will be attributed to referralwebsite.com in your Google Analytics regular reports.

4) AdWords -> yourwebsite.com -> referralwebsite.com (has a link to your website) -> yourwebsite.com -> direct -> yourwebsite.com  = conversion will be attributed to referralwebsite.com in your Google Analytics regular reports.

Analytics uses the Last Non-Direct Click by default when attributing conversion value in non-Multi-Channel Funnels reports. The Last Non-Direct Click model ignores direct traffic and attributes 100% of the conversion value to the last channel that the customer clicked through from before buying or converting. 

You should also take a look at the conversion paths and Model Comparison Tool in Google Analytics as well because there you'll get even more insights. Here you can read more about that: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1662518?hl=en

By default campaign timeout is 6 months in Google Analytics. You can change it if you want (it depends on your business). Here you can read why it's not always a good idea to change it.

Examples:

1) referralwebsite.com (has a link to your website) -> yourwebsite.com -> direct [7 months later] -> yourwebsite.com  = conversion will be attributed to direct / none in your Google Analytics regular reports.

2) referralwebsite.com (has a link to your website) -> yourwebsite.com -> direct [5 months later] -> yourwebsite.com  = conversion will be attributed to yourwebsite.com in your Google Analytics regular reports.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Taavi