Analytics
5K members online now
5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How funnel visualization really works?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'd like to understand more about how Funnel Visualization report works. As I read the funnel visualization report:

• "backfills any skipped steps between the step at which the user entered the funnel and the step at which the user exited the funnel", and
  • "if a user sees the same step twice—either by navigating back to it from another step or refreshing the page/screen—the second session shows as an exit", and
  • "the actual order in which the steps were viewed isn't represented in the Funnel Visualization report".

So.

When our path is 1>2>3 and:

• user navigates from 1>2>1 the funnel visualization shows: 1>2 and exit from 2 to 1
  • user navigates from 1>3 the funnel visualization shows: 1>2>3
  • user navigates from  xyz>3> 2 >abc, the funnel visualization shows: entrance from xyz to 2>3  and exit from 3 to abc.

So now my question is what will funnel visualization show when:

• user navigates from 1>xy>2
  • user navigates from 2>1>2>3
  • user navigates from 1>xy>1>2

Can anybody help?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daria S
April 2016

Re: How funnel visualization really works?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Daria,

I applaud you for digging in to funnel visualization and actually looking at it's shortcomings.

Rather that twist your brain around all the possible scenarios which are going to cause backfills and exits even when they don't occur; I recommend you instead use the Goal Flow report. Goal Flow is so much better and really let's you view looping in your funnel and true exits. According to Google (and me Smiley Happy ) "In general, the Goal Flow report is more flexible and most accurately reflects your users' path before completing a Destination goal. "

In addition, the Goal Flow report is segmentable and is retroactive.

More on both here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2976313?hl=en

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Daria S
April 2016

Re: How funnel visualization really works?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Daria,

I applaud you for digging in to funnel visualization and actually looking at it's shortcomings.

Rather that twist your brain around all the possible scenarios which are going to cause backfills and exits even when they don't occur; I recommend you instead use the Goal Flow report. Goal Flow is so much better and really let's you view looping in your funnel and true exits. According to Google (and me Smiley Happy ) "In general, the Goal Flow report is more flexible and most accurately reflects your users' path before completing a Destination goal. "

In addition, the Goal Flow report is segmentable and is retroactive.

More on both here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2976313?hl=en

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn