Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How do you report conversions by category

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

i have an e-commerce site and I want to report conversions by category.  For instance the site is structured www.jarrold.co.uk/departments/mens-fashion

I want to report conversions by men's-fashion and all the pages below it in the hierarchy.  I also have segments which I would like to use.

I can easily report at this level one search at a time but I'd like to generate a list view of the results similar to this

mens-fashion sessions xxxx conversions value xxxx

toys sesssions xxx conv value xxxx

I'd be grateful for any asssistance

Neil

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

There no such thing as conversion by category.

At best you can have category contribution to conversion by looking at Behavior > Content > Drilldown and clicking Customize (above graph) and adding metric Page Value.

The higher the page value in your folder hierarchy, the more pages in that folder/category are seen in sessions that lead to conversion. Ergo, you get a "conversion rate by category" but it's really just a contribution indicator.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Of course you can also create ecommerce segments where Product Category = Men's Fashion (if your ecommerce site is setup that way)

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

You can also use content grouping:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2853423?hl=en

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you everyone.  I think Content Drilldown will give me the structure but it doesn't give conversions or revenue.  Any ideas or is it simply easier to make a report using this in customisation?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Like I said, use a segment for conversions and revenue

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3124493?hl=en

Re: How do you report conversions by category

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

If you're using enhanced ecommerce you can get some valuable insights from Product Performance Report. Within this reports you can switch to product category tab and find metrics on how visitors moves from details view to cart to purchase:
convs1.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks I'm not using enhanced at the moment