Analytics
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How do you measure offline conversions at a sporting event?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I feel like the biggest problem with marketing and digital analytics is ACTUALLY producing one complete view of users across different sources. I'd like to hear if anyone knows of any examples or case studies where this question has been answered.

I'm trying to identify how to best measure macro conversions of users attending a sporting event. Any thoughts, comments, questions? If so, please share. The analytics world will love you for it. =)

Re: How do you measure offline conversions at a sporting event?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Can you elaborate on the scenario?
getting people to convert on a site then see if they show up at event? - have a printable scannable voucher code etc.
or?

-------------------------

If you liked my answer best please 'mark as best answer' if I was helpful but not the best please 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey David,

Let me clarify the need.

A strategic goal for aa sports media website I manage is to drive up attendance of target demograohic (ages 21-34) at 10 specific race tracks across the US.

The website for not manage any ticket sales. Ideally I'd like to be able to set up an offline macro conversion for attending one of these race tracks because of something that was consumed from the website.

I thought about the implementing browser geolocation to track more detailed location data and then relate the race tracks by proximity. I'm really just looking for ideas or examples of how to use the power of GA to pull in offline source data.

Any thoughts or additional questions?

Let me know.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Cool
With universal analytics you can trigger events and goals form an offline input into GA great example using rfid here: https://youtu.be/C27yMQOS8n0
You can have people keep a voucher or code that they can then enter when they are at the location
If you develop a basic login section for the sites then encourage people to log in when they are at the event
Obviously an APP can create engagement that can be measured.
Encourage sharing of clips of races or pics taken at the event
None of these are exactly ground breaking but also not often used - are we on the right track? what are some of your ideas?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
David,

I came across that video as well. It's great! Unfortunately the current site doesn't have a login section however it's something I'm strongly recommending my client to add to their product roadmap.

The qr code / voucher would be a great solution if they introduce the login feature to their site. I was thinking to start of, we could add the geolocation method which HTML5 offers as a way of identifying if a user who visits the website actually attends a horse racing track as well.

The ultimate macro conversion for the client's business is to get users to attend a horse race track. They don't sell tickets on the website however I'm thinking they could partner with the horse racing tracks and roll out campaigns to offer some kind of incentive or voucher which they can redeem at these locations.

Have you ever used the voucher approach to track offline conversions? If so, what was your experience like?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Have had plenty of clients use vouchers in email or on site campaigns then people bring them in and hey presto you have offline tracking.
If you have people on the site then they submit their email/sms to get the voucher then you can create a voucher that is tagged to the email address/cell# then you know who came and what their email/cell# is and can contact them while they are at the event with an email/sms and/or later
as long as what you are doing is centred around creating extra value for customers then generally the value for the business will follow - where peope fall down is where they implement tracking and targeting in such a way as to degrade the customer experience, either with adding friction to the process, or just being a bit too pushy/frequent with the communication.

some people still find 'personal' tracking a bit creepy too so you need to balance that - don't email "we know you are here at the track today David" Smiley Happy

-------------------------
If you liked my answer best please 'mark as best answer & star' if I was helpful but not the best please 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply.