AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How do I track the conversion source in Cross Domain Tracking particularly Organic Traffic?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How do I track the conversion source in Cross Domain Tracking?

I have implemented cross domain on 2 sites e.g.
www.example.com & www.sample.com

Example:

1: From Organic (Google) through searching particular keyword > Landing to particular website A (www.example.com/productA)
2: www.example.com/productA > from here I am going to buy the productA in www.sample.com/paaaa
3. Here you will say source/medium of traffic is Organic or Referral

1. My question is whether you will say its an organic visits
2. Or you will say its a referral source of traffic from www.example.com/productA

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I track the conversion source in Cross Domain Tracking particularly Organic Traffic?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Why would you say its a referral from the first site? It would defeat the purpose of cross domain tracking.

If cross domain tracking is setup correctly then the original source/medium from site A should continue thru the site B

where the conversion takes place.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Re: How do I track the conversion source in Cross Domain Tracking particularly Organic Traffic?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the quick reply Bornwyn V

If cross domain tracking is setup correctly then the original source/medium from site A should continue thru the site B
where the conversion takes place.

Yes its set up correctly. Site A > Site B (Conversion happened here)

My question is I am coming to Site A through Google like below

Google (Keyword) > Site A (Product Page) > Site B (Conversion)

So I am going to check the conversion in Site B GA where we are saying the conversion happened through SITE A right.

Here Site A is Referral Source.

But I am coming from Google Right to the site A so the source should be Organic.

Please clarify my doubts step by step

Thanks in advance.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I'm a bit confused by what you are saying above..

So I am going to check the conversion in Site B GA where we are saying the conversion happened through SITE B right.
Here Site B is Referral Source.

Site B should not be self referring.

1) Both sites need to be using tracking code for the same Tracking ID
2) Both sites need to be on the Property's Referral Exclusion List
3) Is the current Universal Analytics tracking code being used by both websites (wont work for mixed versions of tracking code)
4) do you have a seperate View setup with the filter described in the Help docs for prepending the domain name to the request URI in the reports?

and yes..Organic should be the medium - however bare in mind not all traffic from Google is organic, some can be referrals from Google

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply

Again I explain clearly:

1. I am searching for Google for the keyword "Protein Powder"

2. Then I landed in the page "www.abc.com/protein-powder"

3. From www.abc.com/protein-powder > I am going to buy the protein powder in another website www.example.com/getprotenpoweder thro Get Now Button

My question:

How do I track my Google Conversions for the page www.abc.com/protein-powder?

we have a separate property and views for www.abc.com and www.example.com

Kindly explain me in Laymen's term

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
I'm sorry it was not clear from your initial posts. Twice it was mentioned that a cross domain tracking setup had been

installed between site A and site B.

Hence, I was trying to explain that if site A was showing as a referrer to site B or site B was showing self referrals, then cross domain tracking was not correctly installed/configured.

If using different Properties for SiteA and SiteB, then cross domain tracking cannot be setup. It requires that both siteA and siteB use the same GA Property 

If you have access to the source code on both sites and wish to setup cross domain tracking, then there is a good guide
on how to do that in the help docs
This is the overview of that:

To track sessions, Analytics collects a customer ID value in every hit. Customer ID values are stored in cookies. Cookies are stored on a per-domain basis, and websites on one domain cannot access cookies set for another domain. When tracking sessions across multiple domains, the customer ID value has to be transferred from one domain to the other. To do this, the Analytics tracking code has linking features that allow the source domain to place the customer ID in the URL parameters of a link, where the destination domain can access it.

The setup instructions can be found here:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en#GA

If cross domain tracking is not possible to setup -

If the conversion sale happens on siteB and they then get say redirected back to siteA to say a thank you page or something.
If you put siteB on the Referral Exclusion List, then once they get sent back to SiteA to the thankyou page, that could be tracked

as a goal conversion and should retain the original source/medium info.

If that is not possible, then what you may want to look into is creating a Custom Data Import from siteB to SiteA 

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6066714