AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How do I track the conversion source in Cross Domain Tracking?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have implemented cross domain on 2 sites e.g.

www.example.com & store.example.com

How can I track the Ecommerce/Goal conversion is came from which source?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CPL_Test
March 2016

Re: How do I track the conversion source in Cross Domain Tracking?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Thanks for clarifying :-)
Cross domain tracking isn't usually used in instances of tracking visitors between a domain and one of its own subdomains.

Where tracking between a domain and one of its own subdomains is occurring, then subdomain tracking is used instead.
The only thing that need be done, is the GTM container gets placed on both domain and subdomain.. and then

in GTM in the GA tag configuration, Fields to set, cookieDomain gets set to auto.

No specialized linking is required - only when seperate domains are involved. eg www.example.com and store.anotherexample.com
or www.example.com and anotherexampleagain.com and so on.

CPL_Test wrote:
My question would be how to track the Ecommerce/Goal conversion is came from which source?
E.g. Came from www.example.com or store.example.com ? Do I use go to Ecommerce > Transaction and add a Secondary Dimension (Landing Page or Full Referral) or is there a better way?

Hopefully i havent misunderstood your question
If you go to the Acquisition > All Traffic report and then click on the Ecommerce option for the Explorer tab, it will change the table to show this information and it's sorted to by which source/mediums give the greatest amount of traffic to your site.

If you go here:
https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/course/3/unit/2/lesson/1

and scroll down a bit to Step2 and click on the blue Start Demo button, you should find the demo quite helpful in regards to understanding the ecommerce reporting and analysis.

CPL_Test wrote:
I created a new View for this Cross Domain tracking GA property and there is no issue for tracking all the data e.g. views, goals, ecommerce, search query etc. However, the Adword data is not able to capture in this new View.
My understanding is that Adword linking is done in Property level, hence I'm not sure if I have missed any additional configuration?

Regarding the Adwords linking, In GA in the Property column, under the Product Linking section > Adwords Linking, 

You may have to edit the Link Configuration and change the Link Group to include the new View so as it receives Adwords data

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello :-)

Is the store a subdomain of thee same domain?
If so, then subdomain tracking can do what you are after.
To do this, you need to put the exact same tracking on the store subdomain.
You also need to ensure that the cookieDomain is set to auto in the trackng code snippet
that is on the main domain and subdomain

eg following line if code must have auto set in it
ga('create', 'UA-XXXXX-Y', 'auto');

Then you need to create a new View with the following filter
Filter Type: Custom filter > Advanced
Field A: Hostname Extract A: (.*)
Field B: Request URI Extract: (.*)
Output To: Request URI Constructor: $A1$B1

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bronwyn,

Yes, the store is subdomain of the same domain.
I have actually implemented cross domain tracking via GTM https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6106951
and the mentioned filter was already created.

My question would be how to track the Ecommerce/Goal conversion is came from which source?
E.g. Came from www.example.com or store.example.com ? Do I use go to Ecommerce > Transaction and add a Secondary Dimension (Landing Page or Full Referral) or is there a better way?

In addition, I have another question not sure if you could help as below:

I created a new View for this Cross Domain tracking GA property and there is no issue for tracking all the data e.g. views, goals, ecommerce, search query etc. However, the Adword data is not able to capture in this new View.
My understanding is that Adword linking is done in Property level, hence I'm not sure if I have missed any additional configuration?

Please advise.
Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Just to clarify.. there is www.example.com and store.example.com
and there is another different domain that is being cross domained tracked to as well?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Nope, only this two www.example.com and store.example.com
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CPL_Test
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Thanks for clarifying :-)
Cross domain tracking isn't usually used in instances of tracking visitors between a domain and one of its own subdomains.

Where tracking between a domain and one of its own subdomains is occurring, then subdomain tracking is used instead.
The only thing that need be done, is the GTM container gets placed on both domain and subdomain.. and then

in GTM in the GA tag configuration, Fields to set, cookieDomain gets set to auto.

No specialized linking is required - only when seperate domains are involved. eg www.example.com and store.anotherexample.com
or www.example.com and anotherexampleagain.com and so on.

CPL_Test wrote:

Hopefully i havent misunderstood your question
If you go to the Acquisition > All Traffic report and then click on the Ecommerce option for the Explorer tab, it will change the table to show this information and it's sorted to by which source/mediums give the greatest amount of traffic to your site.

If you go here:
https://analyticsacademy.withgoogle.com/course/3/unit/2/lesson/1

and scroll down a bit to Step2 and click on the blue Start Demo button, you should find the demo quite helpful in regards to understanding the ecommerce reporting and analysis.

CPL_Test wrote:

Regarding the Adwords linking, In GA in the Property column, under the Product Linking section > Adwords Linking, 

You may have to edit the Link Configuration and change the Link Group to include the new View so as it receives Adwords data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply. I have actually followed the cross domain guide :x

Currently in www.example.com GTM setting:
Tag Type: Universal Analytics
Tracking ID: UA-12345678-1
Enable Display Advertising Features: True
Track Type: Page View
Fields to Set: allowLinker = true

cookieDomain = auto

Currently in store.example.com GTM setting:
Fields to Set: allowLinker = False

Question: Can I retain the above existing settings or I need to apply the below settings for both www.example.com and store.example.com?

Fields to Set: cookieDomain = auto

Do I need to remove the below filter:

Do I also need to remove www.example.com in the Referral Exclusion List?

++

For the report, I went to Acquisition > All Traffic > Source/Medium then click on the Ecommerce option for the Explorer tab.

I saw something like www.example.com / Referral but I did not see store.example.com / Referral.

Is it because of my wrong configuration above which need to be corrected/removed?

++

For your Adword linking solution, I believed your solution is correct. I will need to monitor after 24 hours. Thank you for your help and hope you can help me on above remaining issues.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi :-)
One question.. do either of those domains (www or store) use https?

www.example.copm needs to remain on the Referral Exclusion List

Remove the current cross domain tracking in GTM for both domains and replace with on both
Fields to Set: cookieDomain = auto

and keep the View with the filter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

Only store.example.com uses https. May I know your concern for this question?

Anyway, I have updated the settings as per your advice on both sites.

Back to the initial question on how should I go about differentiating the source of conversion is either from www.example.com or store.example.com ? As there is this (direct) / (none) source medium which I believe it can be either www.example.com or store.example.com ?

Or I have think of a tedious workaround e.g. Add Custom Dimension as Landing Page + Advanced Filter to include example.com and exclude store.example.com ?

Do you think it is workable or is there a better alternative or recommended approach?

Hope you can enlighten me further.

Thanks.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

If you are doing testing (which you should do), for example by going thru the process of making a test purchase,

after clicking on a natural search result. or one of your adwords or other campaign tagged ads.
make sure to clear your cache and cookies between each test.

www or store should not be seen as a referral.

A referral should be somesitethatlinkstous.com / referral or say adwords / cpc (for example)

- how they got to your site originally 

I have a feeling for non http to https even if a subdomain, then cross domain tracking might be required as to the best of my knowlege

https is not seen the same as http. I wont have a chance to do any testing on that until the weekend on my own setup.

**Will see if i can find someone else to confirm the behaviour of this

If cross domain tracking needs to be done, only need a single GTM container placed on www and store

with a single UA tag configured for cross domain tracking.

Currently in www.example.com GTM setting:
Fields to Set: allowLinker = true / cookieDomain = auto

Currently in store.example.com GTM setting:
Fields to Set: allowLinker = true / cookieDomain = auto

also make sure to create a Constant variable with store.example.com as the value.

Make sure to go read over this guide on how to set it up:

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/06/16/cross-domain-tracking-with-google-tag-manager/