AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How do I exclude payment by gift certificate from total revenue?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

On my client's (custom-built) ecommerce site, users can purchase gift certificates which can be added to user accounts, and be used as 'currency' on the site.

Basically a user can then pay for products on the site using either the 'site currency' or credit card - or both, if the user's balance is not large enough to cover the product price, s/he can pay the remaining amount by credit card.

My issue is this:

Since the revenue of a user's 'site currency' is already tracked through the purchase of a gift certificate, it is necessary to exclude any payment made (totally or partially) with 'site currency' from the revenue of a transaction - so, how do I go about doing this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

/Carsten

Re: How do I exclude payment by gift certificate from total revenue?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Carsten,

Saying "site currency', do you mean a voucher ?
To deal with it you don't have to create a specific transaction and so create exclusion problem with hybrid payment methods :
1) Track the use of the voucher as a promotion clicks : https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-ecommerce#measurin...
2) Use transaction options to set the good combined payment methods "Voucher / Credit card" : https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-ecommerce#action-d...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well, yes, sort of.
Payment via 'site currency' (let's call it SiteDollars Smiley Happy) is possible when a user has added a purchased voucher amount to his/her site account.

My issue is, that SiteDollars shouldn't add to the revenue of a given transaction, since the revenue of SiteDollars is already tracked through the purchase of the original gift certificate/voucher.
As I understand it, I can use enhanced ecom (not set up atm) to set up the payment methods, and will then be able to view/segment on revenue/sales made with SiteDollars, but I am not sure, how I set it up, so this payment method isn't included in the total revenue...that's where I am a bit at a loss.

/C

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ok.
WIthout enhanced ecommerce, you will just know the number of transactions made with your voucher (and not the contribution of the voucher to the conversion)
It is not the best solution but you can put this data in the "affiliation" attribute of the transaction

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I really appreciate your help, Mehdi!

The affiliation solution would probably work, but then the issue remains about transactions that are paid with both SiteDollards and credit card, because I need the credit card amount to be added to transaction revenue, but not the SiteDollars.

Maybe the best solution is to set it up server-side so that 'revenue' in transaction data only includes the credit card amount, and 'price' in item data shows the total product price.
For example (for a product with price=10.00, paid in half with SiteDollars):

ga('ecommerce:addTransaction', {
'id': '1234',
'affiliation': 'ClientName',
'revenue': '5.00',
});

ga('ecommerce:addItem', {
'id': '1234',
'name': 'productX',
'sku': '1234567',
'category': 'CategoryY',
'price': '10.00',
'quantity': '1'
});

I hope this makes sense, because I am a bit at a loss...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
It makes sense following your need

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good - I'll try that out then Smiley Happy

Thanks a bunch for your advice.