Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How do I configure GTM to track only successful sign-ups on this site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone, I am looking for some help on the following:

Given that I want to track successful sign-ups

When I set up in Google Tag Manager: Trigger type: Click - All Elements Trigger fires on: click classes contain "ht-app__form-submit"

Then my trigger fires any time someone hits the "Sign button" on this page https://www.myhometouch.com/app/register

OK. However, now I only want to track the clicks where the sign-up was successful, so I want to "check validation" but this creates two questions for me:

1. With trigger type "All Elements" you cannot enter a validation, but if I select the other option "Click - Just Links", then my Google Tag Manager debugger shows that my Tags are not firing anymore. So which event type do I need to set up in GTM?
  2. After I find the right event, what would be the correct "check validation" to enter to make sure only successful sign-ups are counted? Would it be Click URL with some value? Any insight in this would be much appreciated.

Somebody mentioned that I should select the trigger "form submit". Then check the box "check validation", but I already tried this. When I choose the trigger "form submit", the tag doesn't fire at all...

Who knows the way forward?

screenshot http://i.stack.imgur.com/JNTNg.png

many thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

How do I configure GTM to track only successful sign-ups on this site?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Elco,

Form Submit is the right way to go but you have to have a normal form submission function or the trigger wont work. 

You can ask your developers to pass the value to the dataLayer after validation instead.  Or how about a good old fashioned thank you page?  or parameter in the URL?  Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn