Analytics
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How do I Remove Smart Goals Data From Analytics Reports?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I saw the prompt to enable "Smart Goals" I thought, "Sure, why not?"  Now there are 162 URLs on my site being counted as "conversion" points. I only want to track 3. HELP.  I turned off Smart Goals, and the data is still there.  It's counting a visit to the home page as a conversion.  Seriously? This stinks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I Remove Smart Goals Data From Analytics Reports?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Anita,

Do you mean that the previous data (the smart goal conversions that were tracking) is still there or that current sessions are still converting on these Smart Goals?

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Any thoughts on why the data keeps appearing in Google Analytics, even though we've deactivated the 'smart' goal?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The stats are still showing, not recording, how do you remove?

Re: How do I Remove Smart Goals Data From Analytics Reports?

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Just had the same issue in one of my client's Analytics, smart goals keep showing in the list of the Goals URLs report despite being OFF.

smart goals being counted.png

Since Goals can't be deleted what I did is to completely change the configuration from smart goal to destination and just set a destination doesn't exist.

Goal Configuration Null.pngNull Goal

Let's see if that works,

Google Analytics Rising Star | Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.' Learn how here!
Analytics Consultant at Carloseo.com - Find me on Twitter | Email me

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did you figure out how to do that?  I can't see how to turn the "Dumb Goals" off.

This is the dumbest thing ever added to Analytics!  All of the conversion rates are messed up.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How did you deactivate the smart goal?  I can't find that setting.  Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Same here. I was prompted and also thought, "why not", but then it wanted me to jump through a bunch of hoops so I didn't bother. Now I'm showing six new conversions when I only track ONE - purchases - now I can't get rid of this data or the goals. How the hell do we remove this??

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You can't delete goals in GA, only switch them off/repurpose them.

The numbers will show for the date ranges they were collected but if switched off it would just show 0 going forward.

You can edit the name to add something like (not in use) to ensure people aren't confused.

More info: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2013/02/05/deleting-goals-google-analytics/