Analytics
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How can I report on which visitor clicked on an internal link after login--does that break UTMs?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are setting up a password protected site so that only investors with a password can see the investor documents.  The site only has one password that we give out to all the investors (no user login just a shared password).

We want to be able to track if an investor actually access each doc (by tracking clicks to the PDF docs which are on our site as domain.com/pitchdeck.pdf.

What would be the best way to do this so that we can identify the investor based on a URL that we provide, then report on how many times each investor has clicked on any given PDF doc on our site AFTER they "login" with the shared password?

Will a UTM work?

Do we need setup an event if so how can it identify a user--would we have to enable the GA UserID code?

Perhaps a bit.ly + UTM + event combination?

Whatever is simplest I'd love to hear!  Hopefully this is not too confusing.

Thanks,

Marc

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How can I report on which visitor clicked on an internal link after login--does that break UTMs?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

I would create tagged URLs and specify each investor in the utm_content field. Then send an event to GA on each pdf download and you will be able to see the number of downloads for each investor. Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Re: How can I report on which visitor clicked on an internal link after login--does that break UTMs?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Arnold M

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm new to this kind of tracking so let me see if I can follow:

So I created the event in GTM:

nav.png

So you are saying I should create a UTM something like this (w/o the other usual UTM fields?):

utm.png

Which report would I have to create to see this event filtered by this UTM source?

Thanks in advance!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Marc -- Are the PDFs available to the visitor if they are not logged in?

UTMs are going to replace any originating source / medium data. Don't use them on internal links. Ever.

Also, if your URLs are unique to each visitor you are giving the password to, just record the PDF clicks as an event, then use the Events > Pages report in GA to see how many of these events were triggered on each specific URL.

-Ben