Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How can I find out how many people have clicked on the 'buy now' button on our company website?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My company has our own website that shows our products, however we do not sell directly through it. We sell on Amazon, so any user that would like to purchase our products can click on a "buy now" button on our website which takes them directly to the product on Amazon.

Is there any way that I can find out how many users click this button? I've been searching around Analytics for ages and can't seem to find the answer!

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

How can I find out how many people have clicked on the 'buy now' button on our company website?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Becky

Great question. The answer is, fortunately, yes!

This is a two step process. 

What you need to do is set up an event in GA so that it triggers when the button is clicked. 

You can find detailed information on doing this here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events

However, if you want a simplified version, this is better: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18605219/google-analytics-event-tracking-onclick-code  (See the top answer). 

Once this event is triggering, you can set this as a goal. Here's a good article on how to do that: 

http://www.blastam.com/blog/how-to-use-events-goals-google-analytics

Hope that helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks very much Dave!

Re: How can I find out how many people have clicked on the 'buy now' button on our company website?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

No problem at all. 

Either you or your webmaster needs to simply send the event "hit" to GA once the button is clicked. Then, you can associate that event with a goal and use that goal as a conversion. 

This really is the only option you have when it comes to tracking conversions on a third party website. Amazon doesn't allow you to embed conversion tracking code on their receipt page as I'm sure you're aware. 

There are options to upload offline conversions but they're not great in this situation. 

Another alternative that we've found works well is to send the user an email asking them to CONFIRM their order. To do so, they need to click on a link in the email that leads to a copy of the receipt on YOUR website. This receipt page also happens to contain your own GA tracking and conversion tracking or ecommerce tracking code. It helps close the loop but it's not perfect. 

Anyway, hope that's helped somewhat. Let me know if you've got any more questions.