Analytics
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How are you tracking placement for event goals?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How have you structured your event goals in GA? For example, I want to track outbound links, and therefore placement and click url are 2 of the most important areas I think are important to track. I was thinking of doing it like this:

Category: Outbound Affiliate

Action: Click

Label: www.amazon.com/shoes/shoe100

Value: 5$

Placement: Banner (Custom dimension)

Brand: Amazon (Custom dimension)

Does this make sense? But how are you all going about it OR would go about it? and what other information would you also like to track?

Email subscriptions and affiliate links are 2 goals I have in mind at the moment.

Your thoughts?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How are you tracking placement for event goals?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Chris,

As long as you're consistent, it really doesn't matter. Use one category for each. You don't need to use "click" as the action - you can pass something else here if you want or need to e.g. pass the placement here.

Make sure you use hitcallback or beacon to pass the event so that the browser doesn't dump the hit before it navigates to the affiliate site.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot for your reply! and agree with your remark on consistency.
Basically, this is how I am going to go about it.

Category: Outbound Affiliate Links
Action: Amazon
Label: Placement
Custom dimension: www.amazon.com/shoes/shoe100

My next question is, is this the best way to use custom dimensions when you want to add more data to the event goal and not just category, label, and action?
Would this mean then I need to create a custom report?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hey Chris,

Yes custom dimensions would be the way to go. You can pull them into any report as a secondary dimension. That said, you would want a custom report for this regardless of the custom dimensions as the drilldown for event data for you would not be effective. Build out a flat table so you can see all of these dimension combinations at once.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn