AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How and when can the same conversion data alter?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm writing an SEO report for the second month for a new client, reporting on organic traffic. 

We have a destination page conversion goal set up for when a new visitor to their website registers an account. 

In the last report I wrote to them that we had received 429 of these conversions in March, up 22 from February. This month, however, I see that in April we only received 319 conversions. I then went back to look at March again, and it's only showing 323! http://prntscr.com/b1i3de

How is this possible? I checked the other goals and none of them match 429, so I am nearly certain that this number has changed (also, because I wrote "up 22 from February," and February is also now showing in the low 300s). 

Does anyone have an idea of what might have caused this? It's a bit embarrassing for me to go back and tell them we're actually receiving over 100 less conversions than had been thought!

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How and when can the same conversion data alter?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Zachary,

GA data is not reprocessed after the day is complete so it's very unlikely that the data changed. Make sure you are using the same data view. I recommend include the data view from which the data was taken. That way you'll always know and will be alerted if you lost access to one along the way.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Theo,

Thank you very much for the response.

Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by "data view"? Which different
types of data view are you referring to here?

Thanks a lot,

Zak

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

NOTE: This post has been edited by a Community Manager - per Community Guidelines - in order to remove contact information which was most likely due to an email or mobile footer. This is done in order to protect account security and/or privacy. Please be sure to remove this information in future replies. Thank you for your understanding.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Zac
Data views info: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2649553
If you have an unfiltered view and a filtered view, for example, you could (and should) get very different counts.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Got it.. Thanks very much for the help.

Zak

<edited by a Community Manager as noted below>

NOTE: This post has been edited by a Community Manager - per Community Guidelines - in order to remove contact information which was most likely due to an email or mobile footer. This is done in order to protect account security and/or privacy. Please be sure to remove this information in future replies. Thank you for your understanding.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Thanks for jumping in Margaret!

Smiley Happy
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn