Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How and Where to View Direct Traffic - URL Builder

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

We are using a vanity URL on a postcard mailer and when a user types in that URL it redirects to the actual WordPress website. We already have basic tracking setup for the website. We have the basic Analytics tracking code in the footer of the WordPress website.

I used URL Builder to generate the URL with UTM code that we are now redirecting the Vanity URL to this generated URL.

How do I view the analytics for the traffic forming from manually typing in the vanity URL (that is in the postcard mailed)? 

Thank you

Re: How and Where to View Direct Traffic - URL Builder

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
You can use reports in Acquisition > Campaigns section.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you but I do not see it in this section?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
How exactly looks your UTM parameters?
Are you choosing correct date range?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello

The URL Builder generated the URL below based on what I entered into the form fields. I have changed the company name for privacy reasons. We manage our main website as well as our meeting websites in Google Analytics. All of our meeting websites are in WordPress.

http://meetings.company.org/wordpress/meeting2016/?utm_source=postcard&utm_medium=print&utm_campaign...

When I look under campaigns, I do not see anything that resembles what I put into the URL Builder. I know the URL works because I tested it and it does redirect correctly. I must be missing something.

Thanks again for taking the time to help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tomasz_C

You are right. The date range was cutting off for yesterday. I updated it to today. It's working :-) Thanks again for your time.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Go to Real-Time > Traffic Sources, open sample URL with UTM and check if you can see correct data as medium and source.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I may have misunderstood but are you saying that you put that huge long complicated campaign tagged URL on a physical mailer for people to type in so you could measure it?

If so then can i suggest that this is a very painful task you have given to people.

perhaps a way that is better for users (more people will do it) is for you to make a new page URL on your site that has a very easy to type URL like
meetings.company.org/wordpress/postcard2016feb

that loads a page that says 'hi thanks for using our pstcard and has a button that then taks them wherever you want them to go and you can campaign tag that button

or you may want the easy url to just load a page quickly that nobody sees and routes off to where you want them to go but the intermediary page grabs the info needed and fires your tag into GA
Or if you just wanted to know if the post card worked - got people to come to site then if the only way to that new page is to know the URL and type it in then you don't need tagging as that URL serves as a unique identifier.

I hope that is helpful to you for future campaigns.