AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How Google ascribes e-commerce revenue to email marketing campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Looking at the revenues ascribed to our email marketing campaigns, I can see that Google is ascribing basket values to campaigns run many months ago, and cross referencing back to the stats provided by our email marketing service, I can for instance see that value has been ascribed to a visit in the last few days from an email that has not actually received a link clink for at least a month. So much as I had surmised, (based on something I remember reading years ago) I assume that Google is matching revenue to a cookie laid down by the customer when they last interacted with a link in the email, even if that might be a considerable time later. I can understand why that might be the case, but it makes it a little difficult to definitively say that the email campaign was the true driver behind the revenue, or if the customer simply came back later under their own steam, or was driven by some other mechanism.

Can anyone lift the fog for me on this? Specifically, any advice on how best to interpret the data and help me understand the methodology used by Google to measure this sort of thing?

Many thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amscan I
November 2015

Re: How Google ascribes e-commerce revenue to email marketing campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,
what you describe is actually how Analytics treats traffic sources as last non direct click attribution.

So in short if user came via email some months ago (by default max 6 months) and then visit the site again and did the conversion but the traffic source was direct - email will take credit for that conversion as it will overwrite direct (basically any campaign will overwrite direct traffic). In this way you get reports on traffic sources which you can control (such as adwords). Cookies do not store that kind of info any more unless you are still using classic analytics - universal is now all server side (only 1 cookie now _ga (well one more which is _gat but that is a different thingSmiley Happy)).

On the other hand there is the part of the reports which deals with the question which of the cahnnels were inside a purchase cycle which can use multiple channels in multiple sessions so please check this part of documentation for more clarity - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1191180?hl=en.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amscan I
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,
what you describe is actually how Analytics treats traffic sources as last non direct click attribution.

So in short if user came via email some months ago (by default max 6 months) and then visit the site again and did the conversion but the traffic source was direct - email will take credit for that conversion as it will overwrite direct (basically any campaign will overwrite direct traffic). In this way you get reports on traffic sources which you can control (such as adwords). Cookies do not store that kind of info any more unless you are still using classic analytics - universal is now all server side (only 1 cookie now _ga (well one more which is _gat but that is a different thingSmiley Happy)).

On the other hand there is the part of the reports which deals with the question which of the cahnnels were inside a purchase cycle which can use multiple channels in multiple sessions so please check this part of documentation for more clarity - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1191180?hl=en.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Zorin, that was a very helpful and clear answer. Much appreciated.