Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

How Can I Track the Ecommerce Info from Multiple Websites?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

Here is a summary about the situation we have met, and it would be greatly appreciated if there is someone can give us some clues.

We have website A (Tracking Id: UA-XXXXX-1), and website B (Tracking Id: UA-XXXXX-2). As we can only submit one Tracking Id (UA-XXXXX-1)to our ecommerce platform, the goals completed on website B have no specific conversion info. And our question is: How to track the conversion data (like the goals’ referral path, landing page, etc) from website B as their original source?

We look forward to hearing your voice ~

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How Can I Track the Ecommerce Info from Multiple Websites?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kelly,

Your basic option is to track domain A and B in the same Analytics property and use cross domain tracking to preserve the original source of goal completion / transaction.

A more advanced option would be to track sites A and B with separate GA property and then open a third one which will roll up data both from A and B sites combined.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zorin,

Thank you very much for your suggestion, it inspired us a lot. We are discussing on the feasibility and will let you know if we have other choke points. 

We also want to make further explanation on our situation as it really sounds complicated, and please give a check on our attached images (with some sensitive info blurred to protect privacy) : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By7s9jIrR0e2Tmx4eFZTcjhRRFk 

BTW, do you know why advertisercommunity doesn't offer an Image Insert option? That's lame.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Just a short followup message~

About the advanced option, how can we open a new GA property to track the combined data from both website A & B? It seems we need to add both tracking code (like Tracking ID A + Tracking ID C ) on one website. Is that OK?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Kelly,

This is a tracking concept issue which you really need to solve asap as your data is not really useful as is - please note that this is a very common situation.

Option 1
Track all sites inside one single GA property. The property organization would need to be dealt with using filters and multiple views. For example:
View 1 roll up view - tracks all
View 2 .es view - tracks all .es hits and in addition should track all ecommerce hits and pageviews from your ecommerce domain where document referrer was .es (this can be done with custom dimensions)

Things to worry about - property hit limits.

Option 2
Leave the local tracking as is and use an additional tracker to collect data from all sites. Open up a new GA account / property and add an additional tracker using the multitracker support - https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/creating-trackers#working_w...

Note that this named tracker approach should be used for all tracking purposes (events, social, transactions, pageviews) and this named tracker should use cross domain tracking support as well.

Kind regards,
Zorin
Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Kelly,

generally, if you have several domains you wish to analyze in a common data container you should consider to implement the necessary cross-domain tracking with Google Tag Manager (GTM). It's way easier than doing it manually - actually it's just a kind of one-liner you define in your GTM settings online.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Zorin,

Thanks a lot for your detailed lead-through and now we understand both methods. We are conducting the GA tracking setup with option 1, which seems more convenient.

Again, thank you very much for your efforts on this Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your suggestion. Combined with the tips provided by Zorin, now we have several options to handle this issue. And will update our status in the near future to REPORT how the stuff goes to.

Enjoy your day Smiley Happy