Analytics
6.7K members online now
6.7K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Help with creating GA goals

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi there,

There are 3 separate goals I am trying to create.

1. New User Enquiry
2. Existing User Enquiry (when logged in)
3. Existing User Enquiry (when not logged in)

If I follow the steps to complete the first goal (new user enquiry) - all 3 goals are triggered and I'm not sure how to separate them out and not let them cross over.

Steps for Goal 1 - New user enquiry

Enquire (Register/Login):  /popup/login
Register Step 1: /popup/register-step-1
Register Step 2: /popup/register-step-2
Complete Enquiry: /popup/enquire-success

Steps for Goal 2 - Existing User enquiry (logged in)

Steps for Goal 3 - Existing User enquiry (not logged in)

Login & Enquire: /popup/enquire

Is there a way to separate them?
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help with creating GA goals

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Cosi,

The overall goal is the same: /popup/enquire-success so you cannot make separate goals for each.

The way to do this is look analyze the users that complete the goal. To get what you want you're going to need to set custom dimensions for user status and logged-in . Basically you are going to pass another piece of information to GA and then use that as a secondary dimension or in a custom report to get what you need. More on custom dimensions:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828?hl=en

You can also create sequence based segments without adding or modifying code.

More on sequence based segments here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/3124493?hl=en#conditions

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for your response Theo. I take your point about creating custom dimensions for logged in / logged out status but I thought one of the main features of goals was that you are creating a funnel so you are saying the goal only counts if they went through each step in order? If so then the first goal is different because you have to register so you can only complete the goal by going through the 2 step registration process. Whereas the next 2 goals you don't register.

Where you create the funnel - there is a toggle under REQUIRED for yes / no. If you make it required - is this what says you have to follow each step of the funnel? or does it not work like that?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Cosi,

You can create the funnel for a goal and have alternate steps but the funnel steps only power the funnel vis report and the Goal Flow report (use Goal flow and not Funnel Viz) the only thing that is required is that the goal URL.

In regards to this:

"Where you create the funnel - there is a toggle under REQUIRED for yes / no. If you make it required - is this what says you have to follow each step of the funnel? or does it not work like that? "

That only applies to the funnel visualization - which is an older report that I stopped using when the more powerful goal flow report was introduced.

You could also create different goals also if you have unique thank you pages or just pass a parameter e.g. /popup/enquire-success?login=true&registration=new etc.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Theo,

This is great - much clearer now.

Just on your last point:

or just pass a parameter e.g. /popup/enquire-success?login=true&registration=new etc.

In order to add these parameters is there work on the dev side to set them up? If so is it very straight fwd or are there instructions somewhere on parameter implementation?

Thanks

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Cosi,

Yes you would need dev resources to pass them into the URL. You would also need dev resources to set the custom dimensions or you may be able to configure it yourself in Google Tag Manager.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Ok ill pass onto our dev team.

Sorry - one final question on this:

If you create custom dimension on user states so logged in or not logged in. If they are logged in already therefore they skip the login step - for that would you add a parameter like: login=true?

If they were a new user - then you could simply just add the parameter like: registration=new.

And for the final group who are not new users but they have to log in - would you just have nothing as based on the above two this is "everybody else" by default OR would you add in: login=false? (IE they weren't logged in already)?

Thanks

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hey Cosi,

No worries.

If you plan to go down the custom dimension path (which would be one goal and then looking at these dimensiions) then I would create one for each and always pass a value in. That is Custom Dimension could be logged in with values of either true or false etc. Depending on what data you need you would set it up as either hit, session or user for the scope. Same would be true for one that I'll name as user Status values would be either new or returning and scope would be either session or user - again depending on what data you need.

At the end of the day, if you really want three distinct goals, then use the parameter approach. Custom dimensions do give you some added flexibility so you may want to use them in conjunction with the goals - especially in cases where a user logs in. You could return things like userid, member since, lifetime value, etc. etc. as long as you don't send anything personally identifiable you're all set.

Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi - makes sense.

Im just going to summarise the 3 approaches to make sure I am completely on the same page as you in terms of approaches.

1. Custom Dimensions. Your commentary on this makes total sense. But once you have set up a custom dimension for user status or user type etc - if you then want to view the goal with these different dimensions - are you creating segments of the dimensions so you can still use the goal flow report but seeing it each time through a different lens or how else do you use custom dimensions with one goal to see various views?

2. Custom parameters. You would set these up if you wanted 3 distinct goals as you create unique destination urls from these custom parameters (/?registration=new). But in order to create these parameters - you have to create the custom dimensions right? So to do this step you still need to do the step mentioned above?

3. Sequence based segments. As you say if you create these then there is no extra coding to be done. I took a look at this in GA by creating a custom segment but wasn't exactly sure how these would work because I can't see a way to create unique url steps in a segment OR would you simply combine a set of filters saying they have to be logged in, and complete x goal?

Thank you

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Hi Cosi,

Sorry for the delay, here are my responses:

1. Yes you could, as you say, create segments and use goal flow. You can also pull in a secondary dimension on your source/medium report or create custom reports to show you the same.

2. Yes that's correct, if you want to turn them into separate goals then this would be one way to do it, conversely you could also use three unique thank you pages but the params would give you the same effect.

3. Here is an example of one based upon your original post:

https://analytics.google.com/analytics/web/template?uid=H_7QPXW7QZmzZ-vre38R2Q

I used "is followed by" here rather than "is immediately followed by" so that if someone used the back button etc then it would still count as long as they made it all the way through.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Connect on LinkedIn