Analytics
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Help tracking Blind Redirects

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just got Google Analytics for my website.  I am purchasing some other domain names as some experimental SEO.  I want to use Google Analytics to tell which of these new URLS is feeding the most traffic to my main site so that I can eliminate the loosers and keep the winners.  The other URLs will blind redirect/point to my main site URL.  How can I track the traffic from these sites in Google Analytics?   Any help is much appreciated, Sorry I am new to this and cant find an answer on my own.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help tracking Blind Redirects

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

You may regard the redirect as a campaign. In this way, just use the campaign URL builder [1] in your web-server redirect, for example by stating

?utm_source=secondary%2Bdomains&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=secdom-yourredirecteddomain.com

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I appreciate your answer Christoph but unfortunately I am still a little confused. Perhaps I have used the wrong terminology. After further research I believe that I am not "redirecting traffic". In my GoDaddy account I have the new domains pointing to my main website. So I don't actually have any redirect HTML code on these pages... Is there a different process to track the way I am doing things? In my Google Analytics I found a folder call campaigns under acquisitions on the reporting page, but it seems to be for Adwords only. Thank you for your continued help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Another option that my research has turned up. Should I add all of my new domains to Search Console? Will this allow me to track the incoming traffic from each of my new URLs?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi General I,

No, that's all right - domain redirects are usually done as server-side redirects, so that there aren't any HTML pages involved. Instead the redirect is being configured in some interface.

So, just insert something like http://www.yourmaindomain.com/?utm_source=secondary%2Bdomains&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=secdo... as redirect in configuring yourredirecteddomain.com on GoDaddy.

Christoph