Analytics
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Help: I cannot get an 'Event' to be tracked as a goal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can't figure out what's going on here.  I followed a couple of tutorials (http://dcarlbom.com/google-tag-manager/contact-form-7-on-wordpress-with-gtm/#gref and http://content.infotrustllc.com/making-goals-easy-with-google-tag-manager/) and I can get my Google Tag Manger Event tag to fire no problem... and it is shown in Google Analytics Real Time as an Event.  No problem.

The problem starts when I try to make this event into a goal.  It just doesn't track.

I will post screen shots of what I've got below.  I have "Universal Analytics" installed, also with Tag Manager.

Thanks.

tag_manager_config1.pngtag_manager_config_2.pnganalytics_goal_config.pngno_goal_completion.pngevent_successfully_tracked_analytics.pnggoal_details_analytics.png

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ivailo Y
April 2016

Re: Help: I cannot get an 'Event' to be tracked as a goal

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ivailo,

I see that you are doing all of this today. Give it a bit of time and the goals should start coming through. Remember that goals are not retroactive, so setting one up will not add all users that have completed it in the past.

If you try and 'verify this goal' does it verify?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Doesn't look like there's any problem with the tag manager settings.

You didn't say what error do you get when you create this goal but have you checked Behaviour > Events > Top Events report to check if these event values are available in this report? If these values are in there, then the goal should work. Maybe wait some time before you verify this.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Well it says this:

This Goal would have a 0% conversion rate based on your data from the past 7 days. Try a different setup.
Re-verify

But that is expected I guess since I just set it up today an hour ago.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Show's in top events and in real time so I guess it's just delayed when you look in conversions.

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
They just started popping up now so you were right.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Glad I could help!