AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Having trouble after a redesign tracking goals on our site

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Howdy GA experts - 

We just completed a big redesign on our site and noticed that GA goal tracking is now pretty broken.

Here is what is currently happening

• A user ends up on a report download page - websitename.com/report-title
  • Once they fill out the form, they are taken to websitename.com/download/report title?user-id-for-our-crm and can download the files for the report.

I have a goal set up to track when someone lands on the [Begins With] websitename.com/download that a goal completion is triggered in GA. But now I have noticed a huge drop off in GA tracking, despite our CRM telling us the number is about on par with our pre-redesign download numbers. Example: GA is saying we had 79 downloads of our latest report, our CRM is saying we had over 150. 

Anyone know where I should begin to start looking to figure out what is going wrong here?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Having trouble after a redesign tracking goals on our site

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Stenton T,

Can you share how your goal is configured?

If you are using "Begins with websitename.com/download", then that may be the problem. You shouldn't need the hostname as part of the definition. You should just have "Begins with /download".

Hope this helps.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicky -

Thanks for your response, apologies for the confusion, I do in fact have it set up as /download without the hostname

very specifically, it's set up like this:

Landing page:
/news/reports/title-of-report

Then when they download the report:

/news/reports/download/title of report

my goal is set up to count when someone reaches any /news/reports/download page

The only other thought I have when researching this problem. Our dev team has hidden the GA code in the page source with .js. I am wondering if perhaps this could cause tracking issues?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Stenton, thanks for clarifying.

What kind of matching did you use for your goals: Begins With, Equals, or Regex?

If your goal includes the landing page and then a download page, you should configure your steps with something like this:

Step 1: Regular Expression = ^\/news\/reports\/.*
This step captures all pages that start with /news/reports/.

Step 2 (destination): Regular Expression = ^\/news\/reports\/download\/.*
This captures everything that starts with "/news/reports/download/".

Note that what you want to do is to leave out specific information in the regex, for example "title-of-report". Including this strictly limits the efficacy of the regex.

I don't think that having your GA in another library file should affect your goals. Are you still collecting GA hits with that current setup?
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Nicky,

Thanks again for responding - Currently we don't track specific landing pages in goals (we do for other reasons, but not for this), so we can capture all traffic on the site that navigates to the report's main page with the form to download.

With that in mind, should I switch the "Destination" section from [Begins with] /news/reports/download to [Regex] and use ^\/news\/reports\/download\/.* ?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Stenton,

Technically begins with and the regex I showed you should work the same. But just stepping back a little, are you seeing hits in GA? Just want to make sure it's not he GA in a different file that's causing it. You can install a tool like GA Debugger to help you debug.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicky -

Appreciate all the help on this -

Correct, as far as I can tell, the only thing not working is goal completion tracking, and specifically to report downloads (our free trial signup numbers appear to be correct) when I cross-reference the #s from GA with our CRM.

I am now wondering if the way we tokenize URLs is breaking anything?

When a specific user lands on the report download page after they have completed a form, it reads like this:

/news/reports/download/specific-report-title?key=FFLEBunBcI

I would think with regex or "begins with" that wouldn't be a problem, but it is just one of many things I can think of that might be affecting this. Specifically, our free trial goal completions DONT use these parameters on URLs, so I'm wondering if it's goofing things up at all on the reports URLs

Thanks