Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Google referral traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a question about the referral channel in Google Analystics that I hope someone can help me with.

For my site, under Channels, the top 3 groupings are Direct, Referral, and Organic Search.

Under Referral source, number 1 source is google.com. Under that, the referral paths are / and (not set).

From google site about google[referral]

Understanding google[referral]
Not all referrals from Google.com domains come through organic search or AdWords ad listings. Referrals may come from a variety of sources, including Google Groups posts, or static pages on related Google sites. Such sessions are tagged as [referral] instead of [organic] or [cpc].

There are just too many traffic from google[referral]. How do I find out what the Referral/google.com traffic is really about? What do people click to come to my site? It is very buffling.

Any help is much appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google referral traffic

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi there
Can you provide any numbers to make this easier.
If you doubt the results then check your GA setup is correct.
Check your code is the same and in the right place and on any page, check your filters are as you want them.
Check your self referral and default URL
Check you have a hostname filter so you only see your own GA traffic and cannot be hacked with someone inserting data into your GA account.

Re: Google referral traffic

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Timothy,

yes - that's strange. Usually, most referral traffic from google.com is Google Image Search with referral path /imgres.

Sounds more like referral spam - check out Audience -> Technology -> Network -> Hostname as David suggested above.

Christoph

Google referral traffic

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Timothy

Run into the same problem with a client of mine.

What we found out is that some outdated pages were using the urchin tracker (yeah, that old thing) which treated all Google search as Referral traffic

Replacing the tracker would solve this.

Another alternative is using a filter to rewrite these as Organic rather than Referral.