Analytics
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Google URL not showing in google analytics for a PPC campaign

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I used Google URL builder to tag a Facebook Ad campaign. The problem is that google analytics does not show the campaign (acquisitions> campaigns > all campaigns). I don't see anything in the campaigns section of google analytics. 

I have a shopify store and a seperate .com domain name that redirects to the shopify store adress. So I have my www.xxxx.com adress redirect to my shopify store at xxxxx.myshopify.com. In google analytics I have, in the property settings , the default url set to my www.xxxx.com adress. In the google url builder I also use the www.xxxx.com adress. Are one of these settings causing this problem?

I would like facebook to show my www.xxxx.com adress because it looks more professional.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Goran

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Goran N
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 18
Top Contributor

Hi,

Shopify support is right. You need to set your domain like you're hosting a website instead of just redirecting. Basically you just need to point your domain to your webspace on your hosting. I'm sorry to hear that you're going to give up. If you have any more questions I'll be here to help.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

If your website (example.com) redirects to your shopify account I don't think a Google Analytics Tracking ID on example.com will help you since the traffic is being redirected to your shopify. Make sense?

Re: Google URL not showing in google analytics for a PPC campaign

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

You need to forward the query parameters to the destination domain when you are doing the redirect. For eg. if you are using apache, use a code like below for the redirection, it will pass the utm parameters to the shopify site:

Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*) http://xxxxx.myshopify.com%{REQUEST_URI} [R=301,NC]

Let me know if you have more questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Adam. With the shopify account you mean my shopify website and not admin panel right?

So if I understand it correctly, I should use xxxxx.myshopify.com in both Google URL builder and in the google analytics setting ''destination URL''?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnold,

Thank you. Excuse me for this but I have absolutely no knowledge in website coding and the likes. That's why I'm also using shopify. So I have to paste that code somewhere, but I have no idea where. Could you please give me some easy steps to follow?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Goran,

Regarding your analytics setup, you need to use the shopify URL in the settings because your site is available on that URL. GA is looking for the tracking code on URL defined in the default URL field in the property settings and the links in the reports will point to pages on the URL you define in your view settings in the website URL field.

In the URL builder you can use your shopify URL to create tagged URLs and use it in your fb campaigns, you will be able to track them without any issues in GA. The problem arises when you want to use the tagged vanity URL for your campaigns. The utm parameters are getting lost in the redirection. If you want to go this route, you need to find a way to forward the UTM parameters to the shopify site. It depends on how your redirection is set up if it's possible. My assumption for the code snippet above was that you have hosting set up for the www.xxxxx.com domain on an Apache webserver and you can host a configuration file that is responsible for the redirect. If you could give more information about how is the redirection set up I might be of more help.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much Arnold. It clears up a lot for me. I have asked the costumer service of my domain hosting (my domain is hosted at www.domain.com) and she said that I can create the .htaccess files and add the code and I can use ftp to upload the file and add the code. So I think it's a Apache webserver.

So I need to create a file named xxx.htaccess and add the code you provided followed by uploading the file to the ftp server?

Thanks again!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi,

You need to create a file named .htaccess and add the code from above to it. Upload it to your public_html folder.

Once done the redirection should be working with the query parameters forwarded.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great, thanks! Almost there, do I have to call the file name something specific, like utm.htaccess?  And one site said I have to give it the extension  ''.htaccess''  instead of just .htaccess. Is that treu?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

You need to call it only ".htaccess" (without the quotes). Without the dot at the beginning, Apache will ignore the htaccess file. Let me know how you get on.