Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Google URL Builder - case sensitive?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We've started using Google URL Builder for campaigns recently. I was wondering if I need to keep everything lower case? For example, we've been capitalising the first letter for mediums such as Email and Referral. However, I see in the reports that GA adds these in lower case. I just want to check that there will not be any issues and GA will treat them the same. Thanks

Re: Google URL Builder - case sensitive?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
UTM parameters are case sensitive, which means if you use abc for your utm_campaign tags on some links and ABC for your utm_campaign tags on other links, they will show up as separate campaigns in your Google Analytics.

thanks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Will this prevent them from being grouped under the Default Channel Grouping also

i.e. when you go Acquisition > Channels > Referral - if we've been putting the Medium as Referral instead of lowercase referral, will it prevent them appearing?

Thanks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi ,
I mean you have to be consitent . I'm iterating what I said above " if you use abc for your utm_campaign tags on some links and ABC for your utm_campaign tags on other links, they will show up as separate campaigns in your Google Analytics.

Thanks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Santosh

I think you may have misunderstood my original question. I appreciate that in campaigns if we change the case of the campaign name it will record differently. I was more concerned that if I used something like Referral instead of referral that GA would not group them together correctly (i.e. when you go to the view I've mentioned above)

Thanks