AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Google URL Builder - case sensitive?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We've started using Google URL Builder for campaigns recently. I was wondering if I need to keep everything lower case? For example, we've been capitalising the first letter for mediums such as Email and Referral. However, I see in the reports that GA adds these in lower case. I just want to check that there will not be any issues and GA will treat them the same. Thanks

Re: Google URL Builder - case sensitive?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
UTM parameters are case sensitive, which means if you use abc for your utm_campaign tags on some links and ABC for your utm_campaign tags on other links, they will show up as separate campaigns in your Google Analytics.

thanks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Will this prevent them from being grouped under the Default Channel Grouping also

i.e. when you go Acquisition > Channels > Referral - if we've been putting the Medium as Referral instead of lowercase referral, will it prevent them appearing?

Thanks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi ,
I mean you have to be consitent . I'm iterating what I said above " if you use abc for your utm_campaign tags on some links and ABC for your utm_campaign tags on other links, they will show up as separate campaigns in your Google Analytics.

Thanks

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Santosh

I think you may have misunderstood my original question. I appreciate that in campaigns if we change the case of the campaign name it will record differently. I was more concerned that if I used something like Referral instead of referral that GA would not group them together correctly (i.e. when you go to the view I've mentioned above)

Thanks