AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4K members online now
4K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Google URL Builder - UTM's session not tracking for my homepage

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Expert,

I am using google analytic url builder tool for my third party ad tracking. But what I noted that for my homepage i.e. abcd.co.uk/default.aspx if visitor appears on this page via https://www.abcd.co.uk/default.aspx?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=promo&utm_term=cloth   UTM’s session isn’t kept or track as soon as you browse on other pages of website.

Can any one anyone tell me why it's happening?

Regards,

Dev

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google URL Builder - UTM's session not tracking for my homepage

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Dev,

One the user lands with UTM params, the document.referrer is ignored and the utm params are used for attribution and tied to the _ga value on the server side for Universal or set in _utmz for classic analytics. Once that is done the params are useless and do not need to be maintained page to page. This is also normal server behavior.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn