Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Google Content Experiment - Tracking Metrics Throughout the Whole Site

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a div element (sidebar) that is present across all subpages of a site, and I'd like to experiment on two different versions of this sidebar. I'm using Google Content Experiments. 

I have read that Google Experiment tests two different versions of a "landing page". Since what I'd like to experiment with (the sitebar) is present across ALL pages, not just landing page, what would be the best way to design this experiment?

To demonstrate what I mean, here's an example. Let's say I'm duplicating htmls and put two different versions of sidebars separately, as below. 

www.mysite.com/main (with sidebar option 1)

www.mysite.com/var (with sidebar option 2) 

My concern with this approach is the following. If I put my Experiment code on www.mysite.com/main and specify www.mysite.com/var as my variation page, would Google Analytics track differences in goals (session duration, etc) between those two pages only? Or would it track goals across all the subpages, too? (www.mysite.com/main/photos vs www.mysite.com/var/photos, etc) The latter is what I desire, as I'd like to see the effect of this sidebar accumulated across the whole site.