AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Google App Developer & Google Analytics Info

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. For my app, what does the number under "Total/current installs" in Google App Developer Console mean?

2. Does this number include iOS downloads?
3. Is this number the most accurate one to use for downloads of an app or is the "Users" one in Google Analytics the correct one?
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google App Developer & Google Analytics Info

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
1) The total number of people who still have the app installed.
2) If you have the analytics SDK implemented into your iOS app and tracking correctly, yes.
3) It's up to you what number you use. You didn't give a use case. Are you publishing on your website the number of users for example? Are you applying to an ad network?

A user can download your app, think it's awful and then uninstall it.

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much for your reply Dave.

For #3, I work as an analyst for my company and I wanted to properly explain how many installs our app has. Which of the tools would be the best representation of that number?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Washington
This is up to you! Do you want to explain how many people actively use your app or how many have downloaded it in total? It's completely up to you what figure you want to present. As an analyst, this is probably your main task here.

If I own a grocery store, I can know how many people visited my store and I can know how many people are in my store right now. Which figure I use depends on the context in which it is being used. In this example, what if I asked you the following question:

"Washington R, which figure should I use? The total number of people in my store right now or the total number of people I've had in my store since I opened".
How would you answer that?

See what I mean? You are asking me for the answer to a question you haven't asked yet. Remember, I cannot see what you see and I have no idea about what data you're looking at or trying to collate. All I have is you asking "what figure should I use?". For what?

You need to first define the question before you can get an answer Smiley Happy

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave

How about both? Which answer explains how many actively use it, which shows how many have it, and which shows how many have ever installed it?

Thanks again!