AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce
 
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

Google Analytics behaving differently in development and production/staging

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have one of my projects setup with analytics.js and Enhanced Ecommerce.

My staging site is subdomain.site.com, and for the site I have the cookie domain (analytics_domain) set to 'none' in development, and 'auto' in staging.


ga('create', analytics_id, analytics_domain);
ga('require', 'ec');


The Enhanced Ecommerce is enabled and setup to track events and transactions.
I have the goals setup, using GA's template for creating an account/purchase, and tracking a specific event.

 

Behavior problem:

 

Development

Create an url for a campaign like this:

localhost:3000/login?utm_source=test_campaign&utm_campaign=tcp&utm_medium=test_url

Create an account and go through purchase.
I have in GA view, 1 create account event, 1 transaction_completed event and on eCommerce 1 purchase.

This is the expected behavior, I can see the events and have the transactions connected to that campaign.

 

Staging:


https://subdomain.website.com/login?utm_source=test_campaign&utm_campaign=tcp&utm_medium=test_url

Create an account and go through purchase.
I have in GA view, 1 create account event, 0 transaction_completed event and on eCommerce 0 purchases.

I can see the transactions on staging, I can see all the events, it's just they are not tied to the campaign.

I have created a Site Test, view and I use that code for development and staging. Since they share the same setup for the Google Analytics part I assume I'm not understanding something.

 

Things I did so far:
- Every test was done in Chrome incognito with no plugin enabled
- Tested the same transaction setup on staging multiple times, results are consistent
- Checked the cookie domain, is .domain.com on the cookie
- Checked throughout the transaction if the clientId for the user is the same (with analytics debugger), it is the same.

 

I ran out of ideas and I really need to get this working so I can track paid campaigns.

Thank you very much.