Analytics
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Goal setup

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am new to Google Analytics. I am trying to set up goals. I have set up one goal, add to cart, and it appears to be working.

I set up two other goals  1) see deals, 2)FlirV and they do not appear to be working.

See deals:

Goal setup  Template selected and under inquiry see deals is selected. 

Under Goal description, the name is see deals and under type, destination is selected.

Under Goal details the destination option selected is begins with and the field to the right contains  /page.php?page_id=

(   I have also selected/tried Equal to with the field  /page.php?page_id=26563   )

Case Sensitive is off,  Value is off and Funnel is off.

When I click verify this goal I receive message: This Goal would have a 0% conversion rate based on your data from the past 7 days. Try a different setup.

I have had a friend click the Products on Sale page in my e-store but it is not shown in google analytics.

What am I doing wrong? 

The second goal was set up to trigger when a video in my e-store was played. 

FlirV

Goal setup  Custom selected.

Under Goal description, the name is FlirV and under type, Event is selected.

Under Goal details the the event conditions are as follows:

Category Equal to "Videos"

Action  Equal to "Play"

Label Equal to "Flir240320"

Value Greater than 0

Use the Event value as the Goal Value for the conversion is a Yes

When I click verify this goal I receive message: This Goal would have a 0% conversion rate based on your data from the past 7 days. Try a different setup.

I have had a friend click the video in my e-store but it is not shown in google analytics.

Again what am I doing wrong?  or what am I not doing?

Thanks, 

Steve

Note:I have read the google tutorials prior to my 1st set up attempt and numerous times post set up. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics Goal setup

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
There are number of debugging tools that can verify that data actually gets sent to Google Analytics. (Google Tag Assistant, WASP...)
Other option is to provide us your URL and we can take a look.
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

I chceked the URL /page.php?page_id=26563
It does not contain tracking code.

Also on the videos page you don't have a tracking code.
Video links have JS triggers like onblur but all their contents read 'undefined'.
I am seeing some script that seems to be Tag Manager related (Google?) on this page...?

In other pages it is placed incorrectly at the bottom. Should be just before </head>.

So, after those findings I have few questions:

Are you using Google Tag Manager or some other Tag Management system?
Is your Google Analytics implementation restrained by the eCom platform (is it rigid in a way that it does not allow placing the code freely)?
Are you doing the development yourself or is there a 3rd party?

This might take awhile but we'll get there Smiley Happy
--

Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Q1) Are you using Google Tag Manager or some other Tag Management system?
A1) No .
Q2) Is your Google Analytics implementation restrained by the eCom platform (is it rigid in a way that it does not allow
placing the code freely)?
A2) For the pages I am referencing, I have access to the code via the editor provided by the eCom provider.
Q3) Are you doing the development yourself or is there a 3rd party?
A3) I am doing the work myself. My eCom provider had advised me in regard to the importing the videos and
modification of the code to launch the video without launching YouTube. I did not add the code, just modified it.
In advance, thank you for your help,
Steve.......

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
ok so first you need to place the tracking code to ALL pages.

do you have some kind of header file or page template for all your pages? manually adding tracking codes per page basis is very error prone. Best option would be that tracking code would be automatically printed on every page.

let's start from there and after that wonder video tracking, ok?
--

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am out of my element with this !!!! I have access to page templates. I do not know how to add tracking codes. Also
I do not know what you mean by "after that wonder video tracking,".

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
hi

just wanted to take one step at the time so that we do not create more problems.

can you access <head> section from the page templates? first we need to remove the tracking code from the bottom of the page and make sure that it is visible on every page.

you can send me email directly through my name if you do not wish share all the stuff regarding your website.
--

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good Morning, I agree, one step at a time. I am looking at the goal "see deals" which was page_id= 26563. (I can have multiples of these pages. Right now I have only one.) I don't see a Head section. Is this something I need to speak to my eCom provider about? When brought into edit mode, I see as follows:

*  Sale Items  - Copy model # and paste in the Search field & click "GO". All prices shown on the search page is the sale price of that product.  * 

Model #DescriptionSale StartSale EndsDiscount %
HUM4094301Humminbird 678C HD DI 5" Color Down Imaging Fishfinder12/15/201512/31/201652.87%
HUM4094301MHumminbird 678C HD DI 5" Color Down Imaging Fishfinder Metric12/15/201512/31/201652.87%
MILBTRECMillenia Btrec Bluetooth Addon For Radios With Rca In1/6/20161/31/201616.21%
RAYE70085USRaymarine DRAGONFLY6 5.7" With C-MAP Essentials11/25/20151/31/201635.19%
UNIATLANTIS290Uniden Atlantis 290 Dual Band Vhf/Gmrs Hand Held11/3/20151/31/201621.11%

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Apparently below has been translated from the edit mode. Model # Description Sale Start Sale Ends Discount % HUM4094301 Humminbird 678C HD DI 5" Color Down Imaging Fishfinder 12/15/2015 12/31/2016 52.87% HUM4094301M Humminbird 678C HD DI 5" Color Down Imaging Fishfinder Metric 12/15/2015 12/31/201652.87% MILBTREC Millenia Btrec Bluetooth Addon For Radios With Rca In 1/6/2016 1/31/2016 16.21% RAYE70085US Raymarine DRAGONFLY6 5.7" With C-MAP Essentials 11/25/2015 1/31/2016 35.19% UNIATLANTIS290 Uniden Atlantis 290 Dual Band Vhf/Gmrs Hand Held 11/3/2015 1/31/2016 21.11% Try again..... Paste in plain text.....

*  Sale Items  - Copy model # and paste in the Search field & click "GO". All prices shown on the search page is the sale price of that product.  * 

Model #DescriptionSale StartSale EndsDiscount %
HUM4094301Humminbird 678C HD DI 5" Color Down Imaging Fishfinder12/15/201512/31/201652.87%
HUM4094301MHumminbird 678C HD DI 5" Color Down Imaging Fishfinder Metric12/15/201512/31/201652.87%
MILBTRECMillenia Btrec Bluetooth Addon For Radios With Rca In1/6/20161/31/201616.21%
RAYE70085USRaymarine DRAGONFLY6 5.7" With C-MAP Essentials11/25/20151/31/201635.19%
UNIATLANTIS290Uniden Atlantis 290 Dual Band Vhf/Gmrs Hand Held11/3/20151/31/201621.11%