AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Learn how to set up goals and Ecommerce tracking, verify accuracy of attribution traffic sources, and discuss funnel visualization, Multi-Channel Funnels, the Goal Flow Report, and Enhanced Ecommerce

Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Goal Completion Discrepancies

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am seeing discrepancies between the number of goal completions Google Analytics is reporting and the actual number of completions on my website. I have three destination goals set up: Rent Now, Request to Rent (Rental App Complete), and Request to Rent (No Rental App). I know they are set up correctly because the number of Rent Now goal completions matches up to the number on my website; however Google Analytics is reporting more Request to Rent goal completions than I have actually received. I've gotten 230 total for the month of April, but GA is reporting 211 without the rental app and 153 with the rental app for a total of 364 requests to rent.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Marika,

Could you please take a screenshot of you Request a Rent (Rental App Complete) goal configuration and share it with us?

Is it a destination URL goal? What's the match type? Smiley Happy

Could you please share the URL of your website as well? We'll take a look and try to figure out what might be wrong.

Thanks,

Taavi

Re: Google Analytics Goal Completion Discrepancies

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Taavi,

The website is http://shoprentone.com/.

All three goals are destination goals and are configured the same way. Here are screenshots of request to rent without and with the rental order form completed.

express checkout, no rental order form.PNGexpress checkout, rental order form.PNG

Re: Google Analytics Goal Completion Discrepancies

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Marika B if you go to Behaviour -> Site Content -> All Pages report, choose the appropriate data range (at least the last 30 days) and type in /order/expresscomplete and press Enter:

Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 19.46.31.png

How many different URLs do you see? (1 or more?)

Do you see any other characters at the end of this page path (/order/expresscomplete)?

You should go through the same steps with another page path: /rentalapp/complete

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There's just the one URL for both and there are no other characters.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Marika, what's the number of unique pageviews if you take a look at those 2 pages:

1) /order/expresscomplete
2) /rentalapp/complete

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Taavi

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Taavi,

For /order/expresscomplete there are 211 unique page views.

For /rentalapp/complete there are 153 unique page views.

Which are the same numbers that are being reported in the conversions report.

Could people be completing the goal, staying on the completion page, and after half an hour their session is timing out and Analytics is counting that as another goal completion? I don't think that would account for such a big discrepancy in the numbers (especially since there are no discrepancies with the Rent Now goal), but could that be a partial explanation?